From: Charles Hooper on
On May 15, 11:38 am, happy <ehabaziz2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I can not get rid of previous installations effects while I am doing a
> new installation . I face SID or choose another home directory werror
> message ?.
> Thanks

Consider this post to be a continuation of Mark's post.

ORADIM may be used to remove the service for the old instance. For
example, assume that we have an instance named TESTDB (the following
creates the services for the instance):
----------------------------------
C:\>ORADIM -NEW -SID TESTDB
Instance created.
The Oracle TESTDB VSS Writer Service service is starting.
The Oracle TESTDB VSS Writer Service service was started successfully.
----------------------------------

Before uninstalling the old oracle release you can use ORADIM to
remove the service:
----------------------------------
C:\>ORADIM -DELETE -SID TESTDB
The Oracle TESTDB VSS Writer Service service is stopping.
The Oracle TESTDB VSS Writer Service service was stopped successfully.

Instance deleted.
----------------------------------

Remove any ODBC connections that belong to the old Oracle home. At
this point you should be able to use the Oracle installer to remove
the Oracle related files from the old Oracle home.

Open the Windows Registry Editor (Start - Run - REGEDIT). Then
navigate to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE

You should be able to delete the ORACLE branch of the registry found
in that location.

Navigate to the C:\Program Files\ folder using Windows Explorer. You
should find an Oracle folder inside the Program Files folder - delete
that folder.

Navigate to the folder where the old Oracle home was located, and
delete any remaining Oracle files.

Install the new Oracle release.
---

The above assumes that you are attempting to use the same instance
name and/or Oracle home location with the new Oracle release, and are
encountering a problem.

Charles Hooper
Co-author of "Expert Oracle Practices: Oracle Database Administration
from the Oak Table"
http://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.
From: happy on
On May 16, 3:02 am, Charles Hooper <hooperc2...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 15, 11:38 am, happy <ehabaziz2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I can not get rid of previous installations effects while I am doing a
> > new installation . I face SID or choose another home directory werror
> > message ?.
> > Thanks
>
> Consider this post to be a continuation of Mark's post.
>
> ORADIM may be used to remove the service for the old instance.  For
> example, assume that we have an instance named TESTDB (the following
> creates the services for the instance):
> ----------------------------------
> C:\>ORADIM -NEW -SID TESTDB
> Instance created.
> The Oracle TESTDB VSS Writer Service service is starting.
> The Oracle TESTDB VSS Writer Service service was started successfully.
> ----------------------------------
>
> Before uninstalling the old oracle release you can use ORADIM to
> remove the service:
> ----------------------------------
> C:\>ORADIM -DELETE -SID TESTDB
> The Oracle TESTDB VSS Writer Service service is stopping.
> The Oracle TESTDB VSS Writer Service service was stopped successfully.
>
> Instance deleted.
> ----------------------------------
>
> Remove any ODBC connections that belong to the old Oracle home.  At
> this point you should be able to use the Oracle installer to remove
> the Oracle related files from the old Oracle home.
>
> Open the Windows Registry Editor (Start - Run - REGEDIT).  Then
> navigate to the following location:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE
>
> You should be able to delete the ORACLE branch of the registry found
> in that location.
>
> Navigate to the C:\Program Files\ folder using Windows Explorer.  You
> should find an Oracle folder inside the Program Files folder - delete
> that folder.
>
> Navigate to the folder where the old Oracle home was located, and
> delete any remaining Oracle files.
>
> Install the new Oracle release.
> ---
>
> The above assumes that you are attempting to use the same instance
> name and/or Oracle home location with the new Oracle release, and are
> encountering a problem.
>
> Charles Hooper
> Co-author of "Expert Oracle Practices: Oracle Database Administration
> from the Oak Table"http://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/
> IT Manager/Oracle DBA
> K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.

I could not fine that command :
ORADIM

What ODBC entry in the registory editor ?
From: Charles Hooper on
On May 16, 4:26 am, happy <ehabaziz2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 16, 3:02 am, Charles Hooper <hooperc2...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Consider this post to be a continuation of Mark's post.
>
> > ORADIM may be used to remove the service for the old instance.  For
> > example, assume that we have an instance named TESTDB (the following
> > creates the services for the instance):
> > ----------------------------------
> > C:\>ORADIM -NEW -SID TESTDB
> > Instance created.
> > The Oracle TESTDB VSS Writer Service service is starting.
> > The Oracle TESTDB VSS Writer Service service was started successfully.
> > ----------------------------------
>
> > Before uninstalling the old oracle release you can use ORADIM to
> > remove the service:
> > ----------------------------------
> > C:\>ORADIM -DELETE -SID TESTDB
> > The Oracle TESTDB VSS Writer Service service is stopping.
> > The Oracle TESTDB VSS Writer Service service was stopped successfully.
>
> > Instance deleted.
> > ----------------------------------
>
> > Remove any ODBC connections that belong to the old Oracle home.  At
> > this point you should be able to use the Oracle installer to remove
> > the Oracle related files from the old Oracle home.
>
> > Open the Windows Registry Editor (Start - Run - REGEDIT).  Then
> > navigate to the following location:
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE
>
> > You should be able to delete the ORACLE branch of the registry found
> > in that location.
>
> > Navigate to the C:\Program Files\ folder using Windows Explorer.  You
> > should find an Oracle folder inside the Program Files folder - delete
> > that folder.
>
> > Navigate to the folder where the old Oracle home was located, and
> > delete any remaining Oracle files.
>
> > Install the new Oracle release.
> > ---
>
> > The above assumes that you are attempting to use the same instance
> > name and/or Oracle home location with the new Oracle release, and are
> > encountering a problem.
>
> I could not fine that command :
> ORADIM
>
> What ODBC entry in the registory editor ?

If you open a Windows command line (Start - Run - CMD), you should be
able to just type the ORADIM command, assuming that the BIN folder of
the Oracle home is in the PATH environment variable. For example:

C:\>path

PATH=C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin;C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:
\windows\System32\Wbem;C:\windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:
\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live

In this example, C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin is in the
path. (If you are using either Windows Vista or Windows 7 and User
Access Control is enabled, you will need to open the Windows command
line with administrator rights.)

As a demonstration, I will switch to the folder containing the ORADIM
file (found using the PATH command) and verify that it exists in that
folder:

C:\>cd C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin

C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\BIN>dir oradim.*
Volume in drive C is TI105803W0C
Volume Serial Number is 1ABF-57AE

Directory of C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\BIN

04/02/2010 07:59 AM 20,480 oradim.exe
1 File(s) 20,480 bytes
0 Dir(s) 180,366,725,120 bytes free

---

ODBC entries should be removed using the Windows Control Panel ODBC
utility - the location of that utility in the Control Panel differs
based on the version of Windows you are using, and potentially whether
or not you are using a 32 bit or 64 bit version. For example, on
Windows 7/Vista (and possibly Windows 2008) you should find the
utility by selecting "System and Security" - "Administrative Tools" -
"Data Sources ODBC"

For the 32 bit version of Windows, you can also start it from the
Windows command line (note that I have already changed the directory
to the C:\Windows\System32 folder):
C:\Windows\System32>ODBCAD32

From: Mark D Powell on
On May 16, 8:09 am, Charles Hooper <hooperc2...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> utility - the location of that utility in the Control Panel differs
> based on the version of Windows you are using, and potentially whether
> or not you are using a 32 bit or 64 bit version.  For example, on
> Windows 7/Vista (and possibly Windows 2008) you should find the
> utility by selecting "System and Security" - "Administrative Tools" -
> "Data Sources ODBC"
>
> For the 32 bit version of Windows, you can also start it from the
> Windows command line (note that I have already changed the directory
> to the C:\Windows\System32 folder):
> C:\Windows\System32>ODBCAD32
>
> Charles Hooper
> Co-author of "Expert Oracle Practices: Oracle Database Administration
> from the Oak Table"http://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/
> IT Manager/Oracle DBA
> K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.- Hide quoted text -

Besides a possible pathing problem If the previous install was just a
client or was improperly removed then oradmin may also not be found.

Depending to the answers to my previous questions the best approach
will vary. Here are two Oracle support notes references that may be
of interest:

How to Remove the Oracle Client Software Before Reinstalling #124506.1

WIN: Manually Removing all Oracle Components on Microsoft Windows
Platforms #124353.1

HTH -- Mark D Powell --