From: patti on
the company uses proprietary sw and cannot advise me. $800+ to recover. Go to
do it.

Want to know if possible to correct damage and "point to file data" myself?
Or if there is software for this. (This all depends if i can get ext hd to
connect with my pc, of course)

thanks.

patti

From: Bob I on
If you had the correct software to track the file chains and repoint the
indexes and knew how to use the software then yes you could do it
yourself. On the other hand are you willing to spend the money to buy
the software to do this once? Also you would need another hard drive to
duplicate the drive so you could work on a copy instead of the
original. And then are you confident that you would be successful?
Depending on the damage you may end up not being successful and will
have spent considerably more than $800.

From: patti on
I can't duplicate the drive as it drops in and out. I was hoping to find a
way to "repoint" to data while i had a connection. Any software that does
that?

Can you explian what the file chains are and how they work, please? And is
there a way to prevent the corruption?

Thanks.

patti

From: Bob I on
Let me offer an analogy, you have a car and it leaked out the radiator
coolant and overheated. The garage says you have warped heads and scored
cylinders and it's going to cost $1000 to fix. You say, wow can I do
this myself and save the $1000? I'm pretty sure if you had the tools and
knowledge you could save $500 of that, BUT you don't. You are in the
same position with that external drive. If you have failing hardware,
then data corruption is bound to occur. Can you "prevent" it? No the
least expensive method of coping with the inevitable is a backup copy of
everything you deem important.

From: Bob Willard on
patti wrote:
> I can't duplicate the drive as it drops in and out. I was hoping to find a
> way to "repoint" to data while i had a connection. Any software that does
> that?
>
> Can you explian what the file chains are and how they work, please? And is
> there a way to prevent the corruption?
>
> Thanks.
>
> patti

You cannot totally prevent corruption. Even if you could (up to some
practical limit), it would be cheaper to live with the possibility of
data loss by maintaining backup copies of your data.

If your data matters, you back it up. Period.
--
Cheers, Bob