From: patti on
I recently had an external hard drive fail. Sometimes it showed up under my
computer and other times not. Did not show up in disk management. Tried on
another pc - nogo. So....
I sent drive off for data recovery and received email from comp that said:

A. Media evaluation results overview
* The file system was structurally damaged preventing access to the data.
The file system has been repaired to point to the file data.

Can anyone tell me what that means?
Is there a way i could "repoint" to data?

Thanks.

patti
From: smlunatick on
On May 5, 7:20 pm, patti <pa...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I recently had an external hard drive fail. Sometimes it showed up under my
> computer and other times not. Did not show up in disk management. Tried on
> another pc - nogo. So....
> I sent drive off for data recovery and received email from comp that said:
>
> A. Media evaluation results overview
> * The file system was structurally damaged preventing access to the data.
> The file system has been repaired to point to the file data.
>
> Can anyone tell me what that means?
> Is there a way i could "repoint" to data?
>
> Thanks.
>
> patti

Probably the file name list can not be retreived. The file "data" is
still on the driver but "index" to were the file "parts" are stored
might not be able to be used.
From: philo on
On 05/05/2010 01:20 PM, patti wrote:
> I recently had an external hard drive fail. Sometimes it showed up under my
> computer and other times not. Did not show up in disk management. Tried on
> another pc - nogo. So....
> I sent drive off for data recovery and received email from comp that said:
>
> A. Media evaluation results overview
> * The file system was structurally damaged preventing access to the data.
> The file system has been repaired to point to the file data.
>
> Can anyone tell me what that means?
> Is there a way i could "repoint" to data?
>
> Thanks.
>
> patti
Rather than guess
why don't you ask them...it's your money
From: DL on
So what you are saying is that the recovery firm has said your data can be
recovered, as they can repair the file system, but you need to pay them to
complete the recovery.
And you are wondering whether you can repair the file system yourself, and
not pay them, that about it?

From: pmh17 on

Yup i wanna know how i correct damage and point to file data.

The company is using proprietary software so no advice on diy. The cost
is $800+. Biting the bullet.

--
pmh17