From: Denise on
You can assign 0 into datetime field.
DateTime DateNonMember = 0 ;

Bill Gower wrote:

Assigning null value to DateTime
14-Feb-07

How do I assign a null value to a datetime variable?

DateTime DateNonMember = DateTime.Parse("").ToString();

This does not work.

I also tried

DateTime DateNonMember = DBNull.Value

Bill

On Wednesday, February 14, 2007 11:10 AM
Bill Gower wrote:

Assigning null value to DateTime
How do I assign a null value to a datetime variable?

DateTime DateNonMember = DateTime.Parse("").ToString();

This does not work.

I also tried

DateTime DateNonMember = DBNull.Value

Bill

On Wednesday, February 14, 2007 11:21 AM
Jon Skeet [C# MVP] wrote:

Re: Assigning null value to DateTime
Bill Gower <billgower(a)charter.net> wrote:

You can't. DateTime is a value type, like int, char and boolean.
(That's not an exhaustive list!)

If you're using .NET 2.0, you can use DateTime? which is a nullable
version of DateTime. See
http://pobox.com/~skeet/csharp/csharp2/nullable.html for more
information.

--
Jon Skeet - <skeet(a)pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet

On Wednesday, February 14, 2007 11:23 AM
Tim Van Wassenhove wrote:

Re: Assigning null value to DateTime
Bill Gower schreef:

DateTime is a value type so you cannot assign null to it.
You can assign null to Nullable<DateTime> (DateTime? in c#)

--
Tim Van Wassenhove <url:http://www.timvw.be/>

Server Side Processing in ADO.NET/WCF Data Services
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/db179aed-47fa-4f86-a4bf-4f6f92a76585/server-side-processing-in.aspx
From: Family Tree Mike on
On 5/5/2010 3:04 AM, Denise Ch wrote:
> You can assign 0 into datetime field.
> DateTime DateNonMember = 0 ;

No, that does not compile as written because there is no conversion from
int to System.DateTime. Jon Skeet provided the correct answer, which
was using:

DateTime? DateNonMember = null;

--
Mike
From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 05-05-2010 03:04, Denise Ch wrote:
>> Bill Gower wrote:
>>
>> Assigning null value to DateTime
>> 14-Feb-07
>>
>> How do I assign a null value to a datetime variable?
>>
>> DateTime DateNonMember = DateTime.Parse("").ToString();
>>
>> This does not work.
>>
>> I also tried
>>
>> DateTime DateNonMember = DBNull.Value
> You can assign 0 into datetime field.
> DateTime DateNonMember = 0 ;

Not only do you reply to a 3 year old question, but you
also reply with an incorrect answer.

Arne
From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 05-05-2010 08:44, Family Tree Mike wrote:
> On 5/5/2010 3:04 AM, Denise Ch wrote:
>> You can assign 0 into datetime field.
>> DateTime DateNonMember = 0 ;
>
> No, that does not compile as written because there is no conversion from
> int to System.DateTime. Jon Skeet provided the correct answer, which was
> using:
>
> DateTime? DateNonMember = null;

And if that solution for whatever reason (like existing API)
is not possible, then "magic values" like DateTime.MinValue
is the possible (but not very good) solution.

Arne

Pages: 1
Prev: Windows service
Next: Interrupting a native thread