From: Firewalker on
I have 16GB microSd card that I just received and after I formatted it on XP,
it only says it has a capacity of 961MB. When I put it into my phone, it is
also shows as 961MB.

I then went into the disk management tool in the control panel and found my
disk. The disk still showed up as having a 16GB capacity. So, I figured I
could format it from here. Instead, it changed the capacity to also read
16GB.

I found a tool that seemed to wipe the card clean (called diskerase from
these forums). But, it's still at 961MB. I'm out of ideas now. Any
From: Shenan Stanley on
Firewalker wrote:
> I have 16GB microSd card that I just received and after I formatted
> it on XP, it only says it has a capacity of 961MB. When I put it
> into my phone, it is also shows as 961MB.
>
> I then went into the disk management tool in the control panel and
> found my disk. The disk still showed up as having a 16GB capacity.
> So, I figured I could format it from here. Instead, it changed the
> capacity to also read 16GB.
>
> I found a tool that seemed to wipe the card clean (called diskerase
> from these forums). But, it's still at 961MB. I'm out of ideas
> now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

How is it formatted? FAT32?

Can your phone format it?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Paul on
Firewalker wrote:
> I have 16GB microSd card that I just received and after I formatted it on XP,
> it only says it has a capacity of 961MB. When I put it into my phone, it is
> also shows as 961MB.
>
> I then went into the disk management tool in the control panel and found my
> disk. The disk still showed up as having a 16GB capacity. So, I figured I
> could format it from here. Instead, it changed the capacity to also read
> 16GB.
>
> I found a tool that seemed to wipe the card clean (called diskerase from
> these forums). But, it's still at 961MB. I'm out of ideas now. Any

There are such things as counterfeit flash devices, and a major source is Ebay.

Paul
From: Firewalker on
Hmm. For some reason, my response has not showed up. This is my 3rd time
posting. If there is suddenly 3 repeat posts that show up, I apologize in
advance.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. In answer to the questions:

The formatting on the card is FAT32 (I also tried FAT). I formatted the
card on my phone after I used diskerase to turn the card into raw media. It
still showed up as 961MB.

I also used the HP Disk Format Tool. It still shows up as 961MB. Another
tool I used was SD Formatter, but that did not work either.

I noticed I had an error in my first post: When I reformatted the card in
the disk management tool, it changed the capacity to 961MB, too. So, now
there is no where that I can get the card to show a 16GB capacity.

From: Tim Slattery on
Firewalker <Firewalker(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I noticed I had an error in my first post: When I reformatted the card in
>the disk management tool, it changed the capacity to 961MB, too. So, now
>there is no where that I can get the card to show a 16GB capacity.

My guess is that there is only one partition on the device, and it's
only 961MB. Use Disk Management to check the partition structure on
the device. If it's as I suspect, you'll be able to delete the
existing partition and create a new one that spans the entire device.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T(a)bls.gov