From: JRT on
Outlook automatically deletes items from my email account on downloading. How
can I stop this? I prefer to control my email account manually as I access it
from different computers and need to download the same messages on each.
From: VanguardLH on
JRT wrote:

> Outlook automatically deletes items from my email account on downloading.
> How
> can I stop this? I prefer to control my email account manually as I access it
> from different computers and need to download the same messages on each.

You did not identify the *type* of e-mail account (POP, IMAP, HTTP/Delta-
sync, Exchange) so we have to guess. The default behavior of POP is to send
a RETR (retrieve) followed by a DELE (delete). That is, POP normally
retrieves an e-mail to keep just the local copy and then delete it from the
mail server. POP was not designed for accessing a single mailbox by
multiple e-mail clients on the same or multiple hosts.

If you want other e-mail clients to access your e-mails using POP then
configure the e-mail account that you defined in Outlook to "leave message
on server". That eliminates sending the DELE command. You will have to set
this option in every e-mail client that uses POP to access the same e-mail
account. Because you are leaving e-mails up on the server, your disk quota
will get consumed unless you clean out your mailbox up on the server. That
means you will need to occasionally use the webmail interface to your e-mail
account to login and delete items from any folders that count against your
disk quota. Some e-mail providers count items in all folders against your
disk quota. Some don't count items in the Trash and Junk folders since
those get periodically flushed by the server (i.e., their retention is
short). Alternatively, you can use the "remove from server after N days"
option to have Outlook help clean out your mailbox. If you set N to, say,
30 days then you can retrieve the same messages into different e-mail
clients for up to a month.