From: "John WInther" on
Hi

I host 6 mail domains. When I validate my mx configuration online with mxtoolbox.com, I got a fail with reverse dns lookup, my localhostname of the server is bsd5.homedom.local, and that is the domain reverse dns tested, ofcourse it fails hense it is not a public domain, but a local domain.
How do I config postfix to reply with correct banner acording to the public domain tested, 1 of 6 public domain names, and not the localhost name

Rgds John

Malling Ayurveda Produkter
www.soapnut.dk
From: Wietse Venema on
John WInther:
> Hi
>
> I host 6 mail domains. When I validate my mx configuration online
> with mxtoolbox.com, I got a fail with reverse dns lookup, my
> localhostname of the server is bsd5.homedom.local, and that is
> the domain reverse dns tested, ofcourse it fails hense it is not
> a public domain, but a local domain.
> How do I config postfix to reply with correct banner acording to
> the public domain tested, 1 of 6 public domain names, and not the
> localhost name

The "mail server" name is set with the main.cf myhostname parameter.

I suggest that you also read the following:
http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

Wietse

From: "John WInther" on
Thanks for info, I am aware of the manual and I have previus tryed to
change the myhostname to soapnut.dk, I still got the reverse dns error.
I gave me an idear to reverse resolve the ip address registred in mx, and
the reply from that test was the dns name of my internet access.
0xbcb75b12.cpe.ge-1-1-0-1112.customer.tele.dk, when i put that in as
myhostname the reverse dns lookup reply with success.
Thanks

From: Stan Hoeppner on
John WInther put forth on 3/6/2010 12:57 PM:
> Thanks for info, I am aware of the manual and I have previus tryed to
> change the myhostname to soapnut.dk, I still got the reverse dns error.
> I gave me an idear to reverse resolve the ip address registred in mx,
> and the reply from that test was the dns name of my internet access.
> 0xbcb75b12.cpe.ge-1-1-0-1112.customer.tele.dk, when i put that in as
> myhostname the reverse dns lookup reply with success.

RFC does not dictate that your forward and reverse dns names match. It does
dictate that a domain name must be valid. Anything ending in .local is not
valid.

I'd suggest against using

0xbcb75b12.cpe.ge-1-1-0-1112.customer.tele.dk

as your Postfix HELO name. Use a hostname based on one of your mail domains
instead. Some sites will block SMTP servers that HELO with such a generic
hostname as that above.

--
Stan

From: mouss on
Stan Hoeppner a �crit :
> John WInther put forth on 3/6/2010 12:57 PM:
>> Thanks for info, I am aware of the manual and I have previus tryed to
>> change the myhostname to soapnut.dk, I still got the reverse dns error.
>> I gave me an idear to reverse resolve the ip address registred in mx,
>> and the reply from that test was the dns name of my internet access.
>> 0xbcb75b12.cpe.ge-1-1-0-1112.customer.tele.dk, when i put that in as
>> myhostname the reverse dns lookup reply with success.
>
> RFC does not dictate that your forward and reverse dns names match. It does
> dictate that a domain name must be valid. Anything ending in .local is not
> valid.
>
> I'd suggest against using
>
> 0xbcb75b12.cpe.ge-1-1-0-1112.customer.tele.dk
>
> as your Postfix HELO name. Use a hostname based on one of your mail domains
> instead. Some sites will block SMTP servers that HELO with such a generic
> hostname as that above.

true. better use soapnut.dk in myhostname. Although I doubt this will
help a lot:

- "some" sites will block if the PTR is generic... too many zombies out
there...

- OP's reverse DNS is borked:
$ host 188.183.91.18
18.91.183.188.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
0xbcb75b12.cpe.ge-1-1-0-1112.hcnqu2.customer.tele.dk.
$ host 0xbcb75b12.cpe.ge-1-1-0-1112.hcnqu2.customer.tele.dk.
Host 0xbcb75b12.cpe.ge-1-1-0-1112.hcnqu2.customer.tele.dk. not found:
3(NXDOMAIN)

so OP not only has a "generic" name, but it doesn't resolve back to the
IP. If he can get his ISP to fix his reverse (preferably using a custom
reverse), then maybe things will get better.