From: Kevin Provance on
Hey C++ guys, what is the advantage or purpose of this?

If (FALSE == SomeFunction())
{
}

Why put FALSE == instead of the function first, like we usually do?

--
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Bawwk! Paulie want a dingleball, bawwk!
From: dpb on
Kevin Provance wrote:
> Hey C++ guys, what is the advantage or purpose of this?
>
> If (FALSE == SomeFunction())
> {
> }
>
> Why put FALSE == instead of the function first, like we usually do?

It's defensive coding style advocated by some--if accidently write w/
only one "=" the non-assignable lhs will trigger compilation error.

AFAIK that's the only purpose (but I'm no C/C++ guru, I've just seen it
as one of the suggestions in Dan Saks columns amongst other places iirc).

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Kevin Provance submitted this idea :
> Hey C++ guys, what is the advantage or purpose of this?
>
> If (FALSE == SomeFunction())
> {
> }
>
> Why put FALSE == instead of the function first, like we usually do?

I've done that, occassionally, because so often you're testing for Not
False, and just omit the test altogether. And, if it's a really long
function call, the test may hang off the end of the window. So, to me,
these are the typical choices:

If SomeFunction() Then

or:

If SomeFunction() = False Then

But what if the function has eight or nine parameters, and you end up
with:

If SomeFunction(Byval aLongVarName, ByVal SomeMoreData, ByVal Blah,
By<clipped>

Are you testing for true or false? If you put the False up front, it's
really clear when you make an exception to the normal situation.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Kevin Provance on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
:
: Are you testing for true or false? If you put the False up front, it's
: really clear when you make an exception to the normal situation.

I'm converting some C++ code to VB (specifically dealing with CAB files) and
I noticed the call was...reversed. I was just curious if there was a
specific reason why. Tis all. :-)

From: Cor on
It shows direct the knowledge of the developer.

"Kevin Provance" <k(a)p.c> wrote in message
> Hey C++ guys, what is the advantage or purpose of this?
>
> If (FALSE == SomeFunction())
> {
> }
>
> Why put FALSE == instead of the function first, like we usually do?
>
> --
> Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT
> Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
> ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
>
> Bawwk! Paulie want a dingleball, bawwk!

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Displaying property menu at runtime
Next: Delay Methods