From: se on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> skrev i meddelelsen
> Larry Serflaten formulated on Thursday :
>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote

>>> Anyone who doesn't understand that online gathering spots are akin to a
>>> sandbox represents a danger society at large. They need to be removed.
>>
>> Did you mean a danger TO society?
>
> Yeah, sorry.
>
>> In any case, I'd disagree. Public forums are just that, public
>> expressions
>> of one's self. There should be no false pretense of privacy, in a public
>> venue. Of course, it would be difficult to create a private forum
>> accessable
>> to the general public for which your sandbox analogy may apply, but that
>> is
>> the nature of the beast. It must be explicitly stated in a forum
>> charter, or
>> otherwise understood by all members, that comments made in the forum
>> should not leave the forum.
>>
>> Otherwise, posts made to a newsgroup are little different than comments
>> made at the end of published articles. Both are seen by anyone who
>> happens by. One could hardly assume that posts made here are a form
>> of private communication among the members.
>>
>> That's my take, anyway, and I conduct myself accordingly.
>
> I know they're public. My point was that taking disagreements outside of
> them is just utterly uncouth.
>
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!
> http://vfred.mvps.org

Karl,
You've lately been taken a lot into -and out of - the social .net forum
Really much, Karl !.

Besides, below is right:

> And as for comp.lang.basic.visual.misc - you better go read the charter
> for that group. It specifically says it's for dicussion for all versions
> of visual basic - and like it or not VB.NET is a version of visual basic.
> So, unless you get the charter changed, your on shakey ground there.
>
> --
> Tom Shelton

The very truth is: The old vb6 farts here has taken
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc into their custody.
You need a place for your vb6 skills, Karl. And for the donations
coming into your site. This does not justify the high-jacking of
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc.

The many years I've been here, I noticed. Many here have trouble
separating who did and who did not, and who both did.
Apparently, the governing rules is controlled by their feelings and
their personal interestes.

I often wonder why high-skilled persons bring so much time here.
Instead being buzy producing business like application programming
instead of relying on donations ?.

You should be more clear in your posts, Karl
/se

From: Dee Earley on
On 30/07/2010 05:53, Kevin Provance wrote:
> "Bob Butler"<bob_butler(a)cox.invalid> wrote in message
> :
> : and when the tree falls in the forest it makes no sound... it's a bug
> : whether it's been found or not and whether the software has been released
> or
> : not.
>
> O_o
>
> And while I am asleep, do the rooms outside my bedroom really exist?

I hope so, I like my room... :p

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: Mayayana on
| And while I am asleep, do the rooms outside my bedroom really exist?

Why not check?

As the Taoists say: Kevin dreamed there was
a room. Did Kevin dream there was a room or
did the room dream there was a Kevin?

Interestingly, Bob's use of the Zen koan includes
an assumption of eternalism/materialism. The idea
that the tree might make no sound -- or that the
room might not exist -- is assumed to be absurd.
But that's not the point. The point is that materialist
philosophy (yes sound) and nihilist philosophy
(no sound) are both misapprehensions -- conceptual
constructs -- created out of fear. We like to think that
we can see and understand everything, that intellect
can grasp all, but no absolute frame of reference can
be found by which to define experience to the intellect.

Unfortunately, scientific thinking is very addictive.
People immediately start missing the point, plotting
schemes to put audio recording equipment in the forest
to settle the issue once and for all. (After all, if those
Zen monks were more than just silly dreamers, wouldn't
they have come up with a profit model by now?)

From: Bob Butler on

"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message
>| And while I am asleep, do the rooms outside my bedroom really exist?
> |

> Why not check?
>
> As the Taoists say: Kevin dreamed there was
> a room. Did Kevin dream there was a room or
> did the room dream there was a Kevin?
>
> Interestingly, Bob's use of the Zen koan includes
> an assumption of eternalism/materialism. The idea
> that the tree might make no sound -- or that the
> room might not exist -- is assumed to be absurd.
> But that's not the point. The point is that materialist
> philosophy (yes sound) and nihilist philosophy
> (no sound) are both misapprehensions -- conceptual
> constructs -- created out of fear. We like to think that
> we can see and understand everything, that intellect
> can grasp all, but no absolute frame of reference can
> be found by which to define experience to the intellect.
>
> Unfortunately, scientific thinking is very addictive.
> People immediately start missing the point, plotting
> schemes to put audio recording equipment in the forest
> to settle the issue once and for all. (After all, if those
> Zen monks were more than just silly dreamers, wouldn't
> they have come up with a profit model by now?)

Mu