From: Karl E. Peterson on
on 7/29/2010, Tom Shelton supposed :
> After serious thinking Mike Williams wrote :

>>> Pick yer analogy.
>>> Vegas rules? This is a "No Duh!" to most rational folks.
>>
>> I'm afraid you've lost me there, Karl. Care to elucidate?
>
> Karl is refering to the old saying - "What happens in Vegas, stays in
> Vegas"...

Bingeaux. Most sane folks consider that to apply equally to
newsgroups. I mean, friendly gestures are one thing. But taking
hostilities to another venue is simply loathesome. I'm afraid the
younger generation has lost, or perhaps totally lacks, this basic
social eptitude.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Kevin Provance on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
:
: Bingeaux. Most sane folks consider that to apply equally to
: newsgroups. I mean, friendly gestures are one thing. But taking
: hostilities to another venue is simply loathesome. I'm afraid the
: younger generation has lost, or perhaps totally lacks, this basic
: social eptitude.

Some of the best arguments/flames between ex-lovers, divorcing couples and
people who generally don't like each other occur on MySpace, Facebook and
Twitter. So yeah, so hit that nail right on the head.

Then psychos with nothing better to do that waste life compiles these things
into databases like unencyclopedia, or my personal least favourite, ED - for
everyone else to see and marvel over.

Web 2.0 sucks.

From: Larry Serflaten on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote

> >> No lower form of Internet scum than that. No doubts about it!
> >
> > Careful old top,
>
> Anyone who doesn't understand that online gathering spots are akin to a
> sandbox represents a danger society at large. They need to be removed.

Did you mean a danger TO society?

In any case, I'd disagree. Public forums are just that, public expressions
of one's self. There should be no false pretense of privacy, in a public
venue. Of course, it would be difficult to create a private forum accessable
to the general public for which your sandbox analogy may apply, but that is
the nature of the beast. It must be explicitly stated in a forum charter, or
otherwise understood by all members, that comments made in the forum
should not leave the forum.

Otherwise, posts made to a newsgroup are little different than comments
made at the end of published articles. Both are seen by anyone who
happens by. One could hardly assume that posts made here are a form
of private communication among the members.

That's my take, anyway, and I conduct myself accordingly.

(hint hint)
LFS

From: Tom Shelton on
Larry Serflaten wrote :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote

>>> Careful old top,
>>
>> Anyone who doesn't understand that online gathering spots are akin to a
>> sandbox represents a danger society at large. They need to be removed.
>

> Did you mean a danger TO society?
>
> In any case, I'd disagree. Public forums are just that, public expressions
> of one's self. There should be no false pretense of privacy, in a public
> venue. Of course, it would be difficult to create a private forum accessable
> to the general public for which your sandbox analogy may apply, but that is
> the nature of the beast. It must be explicitly stated in a forum charter, or
> otherwise understood by all members, that comments made in the forum
> should not leave the forum.
>
> Otherwise, posts made to a newsgroup are little different than comments
> made at the end of published articles. Both are seen by anyone who
> happens by. One could hardly assume that posts made here are a form
> of private communication among the members.
>
> That's my take, anyway, and I conduct myself accordingly.
>
> (hint hint)
> LFS

I agree that one can not count on comments here being private. I have
no delusions that this is not a public forum.

But, there are still boundries that should not be crossed. For
example, I don't believe it would be right for me to track down your
address, phone #, etc and post that here with out your consent. I
don't think I should follow you into other forums and harras you. I
don't think it would be appropriate for me to track down your work
information and contact your employer because I think something you
said was inappropriate.

There is one area I do agree with Kevin on - I'm not a big fan of
anonymous posters or habbitual nym-shifters....

--
Tom Shelton

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Larry Serflaten formulated on Thursday :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote

>>> Careful old top,
>>
>> Anyone who doesn't understand that online gathering spots are akin to a
>> sandbox represents a danger society at large. They need to be removed.
>
> Did you mean a danger TO society?

Yeah, sorry.

> In any case, I'd disagree. Public forums are just that, public expressions
> of one's self. There should be no false pretense of privacy, in a public
> venue. Of course, it would be difficult to create a private forum accessable
> to the general public for which your sandbox analogy may apply, but that is
> the nature of the beast. It must be explicitly stated in a forum charter, or
> otherwise understood by all members, that comments made in the forum
> should not leave the forum.
>
> Otherwise, posts made to a newsgroup are little different than comments
> made at the end of published articles. Both are seen by anyone who
> happens by. One could hardly assume that posts made here are a form
> of private communication among the members.
>
> That's my take, anyway, and I conduct myself accordingly.

I know they're public. My point was that taking disagreements outside
of them is just utterly uncouth.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Prev: Displaying property menu at runtime
Next: Delay Methods