From: DanS on
How would you define a bug vis a vis a
>>> "programmer deficiency"?
>>
>> I don't know, I've never thought about it.
>
> Then what made you react w/ "programmer deficiency" instead
> of "bug" earlier???? <VBG, D&R> :)

I've talked this over with a couple programmers I used to work
with, and we've come to an understanding about a few
things.......

1) A bug doesn't really become a bug until the software is
released with problems. Until it's released, they are just
action items, or tasks to be completed.

2) They're not sure if a simple typo is a bug or not. There is a
distinct difference between, for example, the assign instead of
compare, vs a flawed algorithm of some type, or incorrect logic.

I'm sure there may be other views as well.
From: Bob Butler on

"DanS" <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t(a)r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> wrote in message
> How would you define a bug vis a vis a
>>>
>>> I don't know, I've never thought about it.
>>
>> Then what made you react w/ "programmer deficiency" instead
>> of "bug" earlier???? <VBG, D&R> :)
>
> I've talked this over with a couple programmers I used to work
> with, and we've come to an understanding about a few
> things.......
>
> 1) A bug doesn't really become a bug until the software is
> released with problems. Until it's released, they are just
> action items, or tasks to be completed.

and when the tree falls in the forest it makes no sound... it's a bug
whether it's been found or not and whether the software has been released or
not.

> 2) They're not sure if a simple typo is a bug or not. There is a
> distinct difference between, for example, the assign instead of
> compare, vs a flawed algorithm of some type, or incorrect logic.

There is a difference between flawed design and mistaken syntax or typos but
both are bugs. If it causes incorrect or unexpected results then it's a
bug.

From: ralph on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 19:33:21 -0700, "Bob Butler"
<bob_butler(a)cox.invalid> wrote:

>There is a difference between flawed design and mistaken syntax or typos but
>both are bugs. If it causes incorrect or unexpected results then it's a
>bug.

If I did it and someone can prove that I did it, then ... it is an
"unexpected feature".

-ralph
From: Kevin Provance on
"Bob Butler" <bob_butler(a)cox.invalid> wrote in message
:
: and when the tree falls in the forest it makes no sound... it's a bug
: whether it's been found or not and whether the software has been released
or
: not.

O_o

And while I am asleep, do the rooms outside my bedroom really exist?

From: Kevin Provance on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message

: I know they're public. My point was that taking disagreements outside
: of them is just utterly uncouth.

That's probably why McCarthy has not been around as of late. It was he who
got the ball rolling on the article that Cenn likes to post. It's no longer
an assumption now. He knows he did a really bad thing - should a
perspective employer google me, it's the first things they'll see. Someday,
McCarthy and I are going to have a come to jesus chat about that. The
amount of money and time it would take to make that page go away...I don't
have. The server isn't even located in the US. They purposefully have it
hosted in the netherlands where without an extensive exercise in maneuvering
international red tape, I have no hope to have it taken down. Some of the
best black hats have tried to take it down in the past and failed.

However, I have my little torments: Thanks to a small addition using the
apache mod_rewrite on my server, anyone attempting to access my website
through that page is in for a nasty little surprise that will require a
restart of the computer. <eg>

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Prev: Displaying property menu at runtime
Next: Delay Methods