From: Robert Klemme on
2010/1/13 Albert Schlef <albertschlef(a)gmail.com>:
> Robert Klemme wrote:
>> You are aware that there is a packaged Ruby 1.9 available, are you?
>>
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/ruby1.9
>
> BTW, there's also ruby1.9.1:
>
>  http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/ruby1.9.1

Good point!

> Which of these two packages should "we" install?
>
> I'm talking about a development box, not a production one. I was
> thinking that maybe ruby1.9 is a snapshot and therefore sometimes
> wouldn't work. So I installed ruby1.9.1. Am I correct?

That's what I'd do, too.

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

From: Jonathan Nielsen on

>> I'm talking about a development box, not a production one. I was
>> thinking that maybe ruby1.9 is a snapshot and therefore sometimes
>> wouldn't work. So I installed ruby1.9.1. Am I correct?

Ruby1.9 is an old release of ruby1.9.0, and is the only one available
on Ubuntu releases before Karmic. Ruby1.9.1 is ruby1.9.1 patchlevel
243 (in Karmic anyway) and is probably fine, but I personally compile
mine from source.

-Jonathan Nielsen