From: Ruby Newbee on
Hello,

I'm using ruby under ubuntu Linux, ruby version is 1.9.1
What the problem is, when using irb I can't roll back the command to
the last one with "up" key in keyboard.
The result as below:

irb(main):001:0> File.file? "/etc/passwd"
=> true
irb(main):002:0> ^[[A # can't roll back here

Do you know how to configure irb to resolve it?

Thanks.

From: Marvin Gülker on
Ruby Newbee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using ruby under ubuntu Linux, ruby version is 1.9.1
> What the problem is, when using irb I can't roll back the command to
> the last one with "up" key in keyboard.
> The result as below:
>
> irb(main):001:0> File.file? "/etc/passwd"
> => true
> irb(main):002:0> ^[[A # can't roll back here
>
> Do you know how to configure irb to resolve it?
>
> Thanks.

Did you compile Ruby yourself? If so, install one of the packages
libreadline5-dev or libreadline6-dev and then compile again.

Marvin

From: Ruby Newbee on
On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Marvin Gülker <sutniuq(a)gmx.net> wrote:

> Did you compile Ruby yourself? If so, install one of the packages
> libreadline5-dev or libreadline6-dev and then compile again.

Yes coz my ubuntu doesn't have a ruby pre-installed, so I got the
source from ruby-lang.org and installed it by hand.
I have resolved the problem following your suggestion. Thanks.

From: Robert Klemme on
2010/1/11 Ruby Newbee <rubynewbee(a)gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Marvin Gülker <sutniuq(a)gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Did you compile Ruby yourself? If so, install one of the packages
>> libreadline5-dev or libreadline6-dev and then compile again.
>
> Yes coz my ubuntu doesn't have a ruby pre-installed, so I got the
> source from ruby-lang.org and installed it by hand.
> I have resolved the problem following your suggestion. Thanks.

You are aware that there is a packaged Ruby 1.9 available, are you?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/ruby1.9

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

From: Albert Schlef on
Robert Klemme wrote:
> You are aware that there is a packaged Ruby 1.9 available, are you?
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/ruby1.9

BTW, there's also ruby1.9.1:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/ruby1.9.1

Which of these two packages should "we" install?

I'm talking about a development box, not a production one. I was
thinking that maybe ruby1.9 is a snapshot and therefore sometimes
wouldn't work. So I installed ruby1.9.1. Am I correct?