From: Sam Spade on
I just ordered a new pc from a small system builder. It will have Windows 7
Ultimate.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but how can I tell whether it comes
with a rootkit installed?

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Sam Spade" <sam(a)spadeandarcher.com>

| I just ordered a new pc from a small system builder. It will have Windows 7
| Ultimate.

| I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but how can I tell whether it comes
| with a rootkit installed?

Wipe it and install the OS yourself!

--
Dave

From: 20100220 on

"Sam Spade" <sam(a)spadeandarcher.com> wrote in message
>I just ordered a new pc from a small system builder. It will have Windows 7
> Ultimate.
>
> I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but how can I tell whether it comes
> with a rootkit installed?

by running this tool:

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897445.aspx>

hth

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "20100220" <20100220(a)discussions.microsoft.com>

| "Sam Spade" <sam(a)spadeandarcher.com> wrote in message
>>I just ordered a new pc from a small system builder. It will have Windows 7
>> Ultimate.

>> I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but how can I tell whether it comes
>> with a rootkit installed?

| by running this tool:

| <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897445.aspx>

| hth

No !
"Published: November 1, 2006"

Too old and hasn't been updated.

--
Dave

From: 20100220 on

> No !
> "Published: November 1, 2006"
>
> Too old and hasn't been updated.

The concept of rootkits haven't changed and so the solution of 2006 is still
valid and works well. Most Anti-Virus programs have embedded this solution
in their products as well.

I guess Mark should have re-dated and re-brandied his product to 2010 and
changed the article superficially to satisfy the target audience.

hth

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Drivers
Next: Print menu not displaying properly?