From: Brian Ketterling on
Markco wrote:
> Thanks Brian. In a c64 that could be a good thing. :-)Planning on putting
> together the simple rs232 interface Jeff has the schematic for on the
> Petscii site. Got plenty of old circuit boards to cannibalize. If you ever
> need a particular chip, let me know I'll see if I can find it here.

Thank *you*!

Brian

From: Clockmeister on

"Markco" <onthfly1(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone happen to know if a 74LS04N hex inverter can be used as a
> substitute for a 7404N ? I looked at the data sheets and the pinouts are
> the same for both chips. However some of the internals for the inverter
> circuits are set up a little differently. I'm thinking about putting
> together a simple rs232 interface for the C64 userport and wanted to know
> if I would run into problems if I used the other chip as a substitute.

All should work fine in that application. A good idea would be to socket the
chip though, just in case.

From: Oldbitcollector on
On Feb 11, 9:54 pm, "Markco" <onthf...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone happen to know if a 74LS04N hex inverter can be used as a
> substitute for a 7404N ? I looked at the data sheets and the pinouts are the
> same for both chips. However some of the internals for the inverter circuits
> are set up a little differently. I'm thinking about putting together a
> simple rs232 interface for the C64 userport and wanted to know if I would
> run into problems if I used the other chip as a substitute.
>
> Thanks

I suspect that it will work, my only reservation being that the 7404
was tolerant of the 5v side of the 64. Being you only need two
gates, give it a shot. Worse can happen is you will fry the 74LS04N

Jeff

From: Markco on
David, you're always thinking creatively :-) Even if you hardwired a small
daughterboard for rs232 into the user port, you could always set up a
disconnect switch so other stuff could be done with the userport. One chip,
a few small wires, and a 9 pin serial plug wouldn't take up much room.

From: Tristan Mumford on
Brian Ketterling wrote:

> David Murray wrote:
>> hey.. I wonder how hard it would be to fit the RS232 converter INSIDE
>> the C64 and put a 9-pin serial port on the back of the C64? I am
>> positive the original breadbox C64 has room, I'm not sure about the
>> 64C, though. On the other hand, I bet a 128D would be no problem.
>> That would be pretty neat.
>
> You could put it on a pretty tiny circuit board, so I don't think it would
> be a problem. If you're going for a permanent interface, though, you
> might
> use a better circuit, like a MAX232 chip. Another notion would be to
> install a Datapump/SwiftLink/Turbo232 type interface, but either case,
> you'd be effectively jacking something permanently into either the User
> Port or Expansion Port, which could prevent you from connecting other
> things that need those lines (U.P.)or that I/O space (E.P.).

It's not in my C64 but I did make up a small max232 board for
experimentation etc. I used one of those small cruddy single chip boards
that seem to be designed to attach a small chip to flying leads. With a
little creativity all the caps fit along with a reinforced D9 connector.
You could fit the adaptor above the userport in a C64C. I have a D25 wired
to the userport mounted in its own hole above. I use this for testing
things etc. My plan is to make a MAX232 based dongle to plug into that D25.

--
-----> http://members.dodo.com.au/~izabellion1/tristan/index.html <-----
===== It's not pretty, it's not great, but it is mine. =====