From: Markco on
Yes, I am going to socket the chip. That way if I need to replace with a
standard 7404 I can just pull it without sacrificing work. I am about half
way through hacking the unit into an old 300 baud Commie modem case. I
desolderd all the original components and am going to put in a socketed
74s04 on the now bare pcb. I've got a ribbon cabled 9 pin connector to run
out the back. and I'll run the connections to the existing user port
connector on the pcb. Hopefully the 74s04 will tolerate the 5v. If not I'll
have to pay the buck thirty for one from Digikey. Cheap B*****d that I am.
;-)

From: Peter Schepers on
In article <7uxAh.1308$%C3.1156(a)newsfe02.lga>,
Markco <onthfly1(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>Yes, I am going to socket the chip. That way if I need to replace with a
>standard 7404 I can just pull it without sacrificing work. I am about half
>way through hacking the unit into an old 300 baud Commie modem case. I
>desolderd all the original components and am going to put in a socketed
>74s04 on the now bare pcb. I've got a ribbon cabled 9 pin connector to run
>out the back. and I'll run the connections to the existing user port
>connector on the pcb. Hopefully the 74s04 will tolerate the 5v. If not I'll
>have to pay the buck thirty for one from Digikey. Cheap B*****d that I am.

All of the chips variations mentioned so far, LS (Low power Schottky), HCT
(Highspeed Cmos Ttl-equivalent switching) & S (Schottky clamped) are all
rated for 5 volts and are mostly interchangeable, especially on the slower
C64. The 74xx series are all 5V rated, it's the CMOS types which are
variable drive voltage, generally from 3-18V.

Check out this link for more info on chip types:

http://groups.google.hn/group/sci.electronics.basics/tree/browse_frm/month/2003-05/5e2a9fb8ba4f5766?rnum=241&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fsci.electronics.basics%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fmonth%2F2003-05%3F

If the link is too big, here's what it says:

'F' is a Shottyky clamped FAST part. These are quite like 'AS' parts and
use *lots* of power and have some fairly large dI/dt issues.

'HC' is high-speed CMOS. Generally preferred. Lower power than 'F' or
'AS', though IIRC somewhat lower performance.

'HCT' is the same has HC, but has an asymmetrical input to look like TTL.
That is, the threshold is ~1.4V (TTL) rather than 2.5V (CMOS).

'AS' is advanced Schottky (like 'F' above)

'ALS' is advanced low-power Schottky ('AS' on a power diet)

'S' is Shottky clamped. ...obsoleted by 'ALS'

'LS' is low-power Schottky clamped. ...also obsoleted by 'ALS'.

'H' high-power. Obsoleleted by 'S'

'C' is CMOS. Pretty much obsoleted by 'HC'.

Peter Schepers, | Author of : 64COPY, The C64 EMU file converter
Info Systems & Technology | http://www.64copy.com
University of Waterloo, | My opinion is not likely that of the
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada | University, its employees, or anybody
(519) 888-4567 ext 36347 | on this planet. Too bad!

From: Markco on
I was looking at the data sheets, and the 7404 series was grouped together.
Some varieties have an onboard buffer, but I stayed away from them. Thanks
Peter for the reassurance. :-) This was just going to be a minor distraction
from a DTV hack I am doing that I needed a break from, but it has turned out
to be a project of it's own. Go figure. 8-) Unemployment has done wonders
for my C64 hacking skills. Wayyyyy too much time.