From: Thommy M. on
Have an embarrassing problem with rsync (not at all familiar with it,
yet...)

I've enabled it on machine backup as shown below, but can't figure out
how to move data as root user... Both machines are Solaris 11 (beta)
and network is OK between them...
Anyone who can help me figure out how to enable rsync???

backup # grep rsync /etc/services
rsync 873/tcp

backup # grep rsync /etc/inetd.conf
rsync stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/rsync rsyncd --daemon

backup # pkill -HUP inetd

laptop # rsync -avz /opt/csw/ root(a)backup:/tank/local
Password:<myrootpasswd>
Password:<myrootpasswd>
Password:<myrootpasswd>
Permission denied
(gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,publickey,keyboard-interactive).rsync:
connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(359)

backup # cat /etc/rsyncd.conf
motd file = /etc/rsyncd.motd
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock

[root]
path = /tank/local

From: Thomas Maier-Komor on
Thommy M. wrote:
> Have an embarrassing problem with rsync (not at all familiar with it,
> yet...)
>
> I've enabled it on machine backup as shown below, but can't figure out
> how to move data as root user... Both machines are Solaris 11 (beta)
> and network is OK between them...
> Anyone who can help me figure out how to enable rsync???
>

> backup # grep rsync /etc/services
> rsync 873/tcp
>
> backup # grep rsync /etc/inetd.conf
> rsync stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/rsync rsyncd --daemon
>
> backup # pkill -HUP inetd
>
> laptop # rsync -avz /opt/csw/ root(a)backup:/tank/local
> Password:<myrootpasswd>
> Password:<myrootpasswd>
> Password:<myrootpasswd>
> Permission denied
> (gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,publickey,keyboard-interactive).rsync:
> connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(359)
>

> backup # cat /etc/rsyncd.conf
> motd file = /etc/rsyncd.motd
> log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
> pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
> lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock
>
> [root]
> path = /tank/local

to add a inet service you have to do more than edit inetd.conf and send
SIGHUP to inetd on Solaris 10 and later. You will have to add the new
service as a service description to the smf framework.

Read inetd(1m), inetadm(1m), inetconv(1m), smf(5), and services(4), to
find out how everything works.

Basicly you need only to execute inetconv, IIRC.

HTH,
Tom
From: Thommy M. on
> to add a inet service you have to do more than edit inetd.conf and send
> SIGHUP to inetd on Solaris 10 and later. You will have to add the new
> service as a service description to the smf framework.

Silly me. Of course... Thanks... Solaris 10 _is_ different...

From: Thomas Maier-Komor on

From: Andrew on
Thommy M. wrote:

[..]

> laptop # rsync -avz /opt/csw/ root(a)backup:/tank/local
> Password:<myrootpasswd>
> Password:<myrootpasswd>
> Password:<myrootpasswd>
> Permission denied
> (gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,publickey,keyboard-interactive).rsync:
> connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(359)

Edit sshd_config on backup to PermitRootLogin Yes
and restart sshd

Regards,

andrew(a)lod.com