From: Tony Arcieri on

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005(a)gmail.com>wrote:

> Looks like pure java Nokogiri is something popular--the bounty on it has
> already risen to $225

$250 now :)

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

From: Ammar Ali on
Tony Arcieri wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005(a)gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> Looks like pure java Nokogiri is something popular--the bounty on it has
>> already risen to $225
>>

> $250 now :)

Does a pure java anything qualify as a ruby bounty? Or is it a java
bounty now? Maybe a ruby-envy bounty? :)

ammar

From: Tony Arcieri on

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Ammar Ali <ammarabuali(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Does a pure java anything qualify as a ruby bounty? Or is it a java bounty
> now? Maybe a ruby-envy bounty? :)

The goal is a version of Nokogiri without any native code dependencies which
runs entirely within the JVM. That doesn't mean it's written in Java or
even necessarily includes any Java code at all: it could be pure Ruby
interfacing with the native Java XML libraries.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

From: Charles Oliver Nutter on
On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:55 PM, Ammar Ali <ammarabuali(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Does a pure java anything qualify as a ruby bounty? Or is it a java bounty
> now? Maybe a ruby-envy bounty? :)

Considering most of the bounties are about C extensions to MRI, you're
about as far off base as you could possibly be. :)

- Charlie

From: Aaron Patterson on
On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 09:15:56PM +0900, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Looks like pure java Nokogiri is something popular--the bounty on it has
> > already risen to $225
>
> It's probably the most oft-encountered stumbling block for folks using
> JRuby (these days), since Nokogiri itself has become very popular and
> is now depended on by many other libraries. A pure-Java version would
> never need special handling on any platform, would work on any
> platform where JRuby works, and would not require native library
> support at all.

I thought FFI was supposed to solve this problem. Is it not?

> I implore gem authors: think about who you might hurt with hard gem
> dependencies on native extensions. At least provide an alternative
> path.

I implore Ruby implementors to support the MRI C api, as it too is part
of Ruby's api. Think about who you hurt by not letting people reuse
valuable libraries written in C. :-)

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/