From: .Martin. on
I usually work on my laptop sitting at a table a few metres away
from my desktop computer is.
The desktop computer is connected to a nice set of speakers and holds
all my media files. As I'm a lazy person, I usually control it through my laptop via ssh and
issue mp3blaster or mplayer to play music. The problem is when I want to
play some film. I don't want to play it on my laptop. I want to play it
on the desktop screen but issue the commands from the laptop. In other
words, all the media files are on the desktop computer. I just want to
use the laptop as a 'remote control' for it. How would I start X apps
(eg. mplayer playing a film) on the desktop issuing a command via ssh
on the laptop.

thanks
--
regards

..Martin.
From: Ivan Rajkovic on
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:40:49 +0100, .Martin. wrote:

> I usually work on my laptop sitting at a table a few metres away from my
> desktop computer is.
> The desktop computer is connected to a nice set of speakers and holds
> all my media files. As I'm a lazy person, I usually control it through
> my laptop via ssh and issue mp3blaster or mplayer to play music. The
> problem is when I want to play some film. I don't want to play it on my
> laptop. I want to play it on the desktop screen but issue the commands
> from the laptop. In other words, all the media files are on the desktop
> computer. I just want to use the laptop as a 'remote control' for it.
> How would I start X apps (eg. mplayer playing a film) on the desktop
> issuing a command via ssh on the laptop.
>
> thanks

mplayer -display :0.0 <file>

--
i.
From: .Martin. on
Ivan Rajkovic <ivanrajkovic(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:40:49 +0100, .Martin. wrote:
>
>> I usually work on my laptop sitting at a table a few metres away from my
>> desktop computer is.
>> The desktop computer is connected to a nice set of speakers and holds
>> all my media files. As I'm a lazy person, I usually control it through
>> my laptop via ssh and issue mp3blaster or mplayer to play music. The
>> problem is when I want to play some film. I don't want to play it on my
>> laptop. I want to play it on the desktop screen but issue the commands
>> from the laptop. In other words, all the media files are on the desktop
>> computer. I just want to use the laptop as a 'remote control' for it.
>> How would I start X apps (eg. mplayer playing a film) on the desktop
>> issuing a command via ssh on the laptop.
>>
>> thanks
>
> mplayer -display :0.0 <file>

Excellent - thank you
--
regards

..Martin.
From: Ivan Rajkovic on
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 17:49:57 +0100, .Martin. wrote:

> Ivan Rajkovic <ivanrajkovic(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:40:49 +0100, .Martin. wrote:
>>
>>> I usually work on my laptop sitting at a table a few metres away from
>>> my desktop computer is.
>>> The desktop computer is connected to a nice set of speakers and holds
>>> all my media files. As I'm a lazy person, I usually control it through
>>> my laptop via ssh and issue mp3blaster or mplayer to play music. The
>>> problem is when I want to play some film. I don't want to play it on
>>> my laptop. I want to play it on the desktop screen but issue the
>>> commands from the laptop. In other words, all the media files are on
>>> the desktop computer. I just want to use the laptop as a 'remote
>>> control' for it. How would I start X apps (eg. mplayer playing a film)
>>> on the desktop issuing a command via ssh on the laptop.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>
>> mplayer -display :0.0 <file>
>

> Excellent - thank you

just to add, for all programs:

$ export DISPLAY=:0.0
$ mplayer (or any other program)

--
i.
From: Chris Sorenson on

> just to add, for all programs:
>
> $ export DISPLAY=:0.0
> $ mplayer (or any other program)

Uh, that sets the display to the xserver on the host you're using...

To use a host elsewhere on the network, you need to specify an IP
address or a hostname, i.e.

$ export DISPLAY=192.168.0.1:0.0

or

$ export DISPLAY=vishnu:0.0

Note that the second example only works if your resolver can get host
vishnu's IP address from either /etc/hosts or a nameserver...