From: Gregory Moyer on
> > Hmm.... it worked?  Does kernel parameter sata_nv.adma_enabled=0 make
> > any difference?  Can you please attach boot log with the kernel
> > parameter specified?
>
> Think you meant maybe sata_nv.swncq=0 instead - this is an MCP51
> controller so it doesn't support ADMA. I don't imagine SWNCQ would
> make any difference with an ATAPI device, but wouldn't hurt to try.

I tried booting 2.6.32 with both of these options (tried separately)
with no change in behavior. If it helps, sometimes I get an error mask
of 0x4 and sometimes 0x5, though I do not know what either represents.
Also, my controller is MCP55, but I don't know how different that is
from the MCP51 that Cengiz has.

Attached are boot logs from running each option suggested here.

Thanks again.

- Greg
From: Cengiz Günay on
Hello, Tejun & Robert,

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Robert Hancock <hancockrwd(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 2009/12/24 Tejun Heo <tj(a)kernel.org>:
>> Hmm.... it worked?  Does kernel parameter sata_nv.adma_enabled=0 make
>> any difference?  Can you please attach boot log with the kernel
>> parameter specified?
>
> Think you meant maybe sata_nv.swncq=0 instead - this is an MCP51
> controller so it doesn't support ADMA. I don't imagine SWNCQ would
> make any difference with an ATAPI device, but wouldn't hurt to try.

Thanks for following this up. I tried both of your suggested kernel
parameters (attached). Neither solved my problem, but also it looks
like I couldn't turn off the SWNCQ mode. Even though I set it to zero,
sata_nv still shows that it uses it. Although the order of my devices
changed, so I assume it did something.

I hope this helps shed some light! I will also try the kernel patch --
not sure if that is suited for the problem I'm having?

-Cengiz

--
Cengiz Gunay
From: Tejun Heo on
Hello,

On 01/22/2010 11:11 PM, Cengiz G�nay wrote:
>>> Hmm.... it worked? Does kernel parameter sata_nv.adma_enabled=0 make
>>> any difference? Can you please attach boot log with the kernel
>>> parameter specified?
>>
>> Think you meant maybe sata_nv.swncq=0 instead - this is an MCP51
>> controller so it doesn't support ADMA. I don't imagine SWNCQ would
>> make any difference with an ATAPI device, but wouldn't hurt to try.
>
> Thanks for following this up. I tried both of your suggested kernel
> parameters (attached). Neither solved my problem, but also it looks
> like I couldn't turn off the SWNCQ mode. Even though I set it to zero,
> sata_nv still shows that it uses it. Although the order of my devices
> changed, so I assume it did something.

The parameter isn't being passed to the module loaded by initrd. You
probably need to edit modules.conf and then regenerate initrd. :-(

> I hope this helps shed some light! I will also try the kernel patch --
> not sure if that is suited for the problem I'm having?

Yeah, I was about to suggest trying the patch. It could be that the
timeout used by the new TUR code is too aggressive.

Thanks.

--
tejun
From: Cengiz Günay on
Hello,

2010/1/22 Tejun Heo <tj(a)kernel.org>:
> The parameter isn't being passed to the module loaded by initrd.  You
> probably need to edit modules.conf and then regenerate initrd.  :-(

Ok, you're right. I forgot I had to do that. So now I did it for
ADMA=0, SWNCQ=0 and MSI=1, separately. None worked, and all dmesg
outputs attached.

> Yeah, I was about to suggest trying the patch.  It could be that the
> timeout used by the new TUR code is too aggressive.

Unfortunately that didn't work, either (attached). It kept on changing
DMA modes down to PIO0 and completly failed in the end. Should I try
different sata_nv parameters with this patch if needed?

Thanks,
--
Cengiz
From: Cengiz Günay on
2010/2/1 Tejun Heo <tj(a)kernel.org>:

> Can you please attach full dmesg w/ the patch applied w/o any kernel
> parameter?  I'm curious where the hda warnings are coming from.  Is
> generic IDE driver loaded?

The dmesg snippet I attached last time was w/o any kernel parameters.
This time I'm attaching the full dmesg output. hda is my other DVD-RW
drive, I'm not sure what the warnings mean. ide_core is loaded, but
not the ide-generic or ide-pci-generic modules, although they are
available. Would you like me to force them to load?

-Cengiz