From: Tejun Heo on
On 02/18/2010 01:14 AM, Cengiz Günay wrote:
> 2010/2/1 Tejun Heo <tj(a)kernel.org>:
>
>> Can you please attach full dmesg w/ the patch applied w/o any kernel
>> parameter? I'm curious where the hda warnings are coming from. Is
>> generic IDE driver loaded?
>
> The dmesg snippet I attached last time was w/o any kernel parameters.
> This time I'm attaching the full dmesg output. hda is my other DVD-RW
> drive, I'm not sure what the warnings mean. ide_core is loaded, but
> not the ide-generic or ide-pci-generic modules, although they are
> available. Would you like me to force them to load?

No, I was concerned because there were a few cases where two drivers
were attached to the same controller but I don't think that's possible
here.

Does the attached patch make any difference?

Thanks.

--
tejun
From: Cengiz Günay on
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Tejun Heo <tj(a)kernel.org> wrote:
> No, I was concerned because there were a few cases where two drivers
> were attached to the same controller but I don't think that's possible
> here.

Ok.

> Does the attached patch make any difference?

Not that I can tell. I still get an infinite loop of ata4 errors. I
attached a full dmesg output with the patch. Note that I have both the
patches disable-clear-ua and drain-from-atapi-pio-bytes applied at the
same time.

Thanks,
-Cengiz
From: Tejun Heo on
On 02/21/2010 04:11 AM, Cengiz Günay wrote:
>> Does the attached patch make any difference?
>
> Not that I can tell. I still get an infinite loop of ata4 errors. I
> attached a full dmesg output with the patch. Note that I have both the
> patches disable-clear-ua and drain-from-atapi-pio-bytes applied at the
> same time.

Hmmm... So, DRQ gets cleared? That's strange. When then the 18 extra
bytes happen? Can you please try this one?

--
tejun
From: Cengiz Günay on
On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Tejun Heo <tj(a)kernel.org> wrote:
> Hmmm... So, DRQ gets cleared?  That's strange.  When then the 18 extra
> bytes happen?  Can you please try this one?

It worked!

$ lsscsi
[4:0:0:0] cd/dvd ATAPI iHOS104 WL08 /dev/sr0

I was able to read a regular DVD in the drive. According to dmesg the
negotiated speed was down to UDMA/33, so I am not sure about the
performance of the drive.

Full dmesg attached.

Thanks!
Cengiz
From: Tejun Heo on
Hello,

On 02/22/2010 06:28 AM, Cengiz Günay wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Tejun Heo <tj(a)kernel.org> wrote:
>> Hmmm... So, DRQ gets cleared? That's strange. When then the 18 extra
>> bytes happen? Can you please try this one?
>
> It worked!
>
> $ lsscsi
> [4:0:0:0] cd/dvd ATAPI iHOS104 WL08 /dev/sr0
>
> I was able to read a regular DVD in the drive. According to dmesg the
> negotiated speed was down to UDMA/33, so I am not sure about the
> performance of the drive.

Hmmm.... it could be that the drive is sending more data then
requested and the state machine in the controller doesn't like that
and fails to assert IRQ on the host side. You're still getting
timeouts on 96 byte dma inquiries. Can you please this patch?

--
tejun