From: Albretch Mueller on
~
the guys at pgdp.net (Project Gutenberg, Distributed Proofreaders)
usually destroy books in order to make the scanning + OCR doable in a
time frame that makes "business" sense (they volunteer their service
as proofreaders but they must do it in the least possible time and
with the least amount of technical hassle, so they cut off the books'
bindings and use commercial batch scanners to do all even and then odd
pages at once).
~
The thing is that sometimes you have only one copy you can or should
not destroy. I am actually against destroying books or anything as
long as there is a non-invasive/destroying way to do things.
~
There is plenty of software to do the preprocessing and OCR process,
but the actual physical part of producing the images one after the
other is the show stopper. What I have in mind is mount a camera on a
tripod and configuring it with enough resolution to take pictures of
the pages, which should be saved in some sort of lossless format, but
I don't know how to drive a camera via its usb ports so that I can
somehow drive/automate:
~
1) when or the time intervals at which to take pictures
~
2) to save the pictures prefixed in a certain way enumerating first
even and then odd pages ...
~
cameras do enumerate pictures on their own and I guess doing the
clicking via software shouldn't be a bid deal. There may even be
cameras with enough resolution for you to be able to get to them
wirelessly
~
I found for example:
~
comp.os.linux.hardware: "Nokia phone via USB ???"
~
alt.os.linux: USB camera with Linux?
~
which somewhat relates to what I am trying to do. They are able to
access the internals of the camera to just transfer files not really
automate its functions
~
I do know google uses huge and expensive machines to scan pages (and
somehow do some OCR to since they make them searchable)
~
Is it possible? What do you suggest?
~
Thank you
lbrtchx
{comp.os.linux.hardware, alt.os.linux, alt.comp.periphs.dcameras}