From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Grant:

[...]
> I've not yet found the patience to build my own custom install whatsits,
> the list of files that go in without asking?

I'm working on one ATM.

Step-1 Rip out all the stuff I don't want (from a list)

Step-2 Installpkg everything in a "install these" dir

Step-3 Copy in a collection of established system files

Step-4 Create usual user accounts

Step-5 Drop in those user's particular account configs etc.

Step-6 Seek through available partitions and add mounts to /etc/fstab

There are more fiddly bits it does, like particular mounting types for
any user dirs within USERDATA root dirs, and so forth, but you get the
idea.

Trouble is, every time I sit down to finish it, I get another bright idea
and another afternoon vanishes while I play. I figure I'll just about
have it done by the time I need to upgrade it for Slack 14. :)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Grant on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:08:49 +0000 (UTC), Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:

>Responding to Grant:
>
>[...]
>> I've not yet found the patience to build my own custom install whatsits,
>> the list of files that go in without asking?
>

>I'm working on one ATM.
>
>Step-1 Rip out all the stuff I don't want (from a list)
>
>Step-2 Installpkg everything in a "install these" dir
>
>Step-3 Copy in a collection of established system files
>
>Step-4 Create usual user accounts
>
>Step-5 Drop in those user's particular account configs etc.
>
>Step-6 Seek through available partitions and add mounts to /etc/fstab
>
>There are more fiddly bits it does, like particular mounting types for
>any user dirs within USERDATA root dirs, and so forth, but you get the
>idea.
>
>Trouble is, every time I sit down to finish it, I get another bright idea
>and another afternoon vanishes while I play. I figure I'll just about
>have it done by the time I need to upgrade it for Slack 14. :)

Doesn't surprise me, there's only so much to play with, before one
needs the PC for something better than installing software ;)

The one box I'd like to do a tight install on, my Internet facing
firewall box, is working well on slack-11, so why break it? I've
not updated beyond apache-1.3 -- so there's perhaps some troubles
there for my websites.

Procrastination is so easy :) Simply let it be...

Grant.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Grant:

> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:08:49 +0000 (UTC), Mike Jones
> <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Responding to Grant:
>>
>>[...]
>>> I've not yet found the patience to build my own custom install
>>> whatsits, the list of files that go in without asking?
>>

>>I'm working on one ATM.
>>
>>Step-1 Rip out all the stuff I don't want (from a list)
>>
>>Step-2 Installpkg everything in a "install these" dir
>>
>>Step-3 Copy in a collection of established system files
>>
>>Step-4 Create usual user accounts
>>
>>Step-5 Drop in those user's particular account configs etc.
>>
>>Step-6 Seek through available partitions and add mounts to /etc/
fstab

>>There are more fiddly bits it does, like particular mounting types for
>>any user dirs within USERDATA root dirs, and so forth, but you get the
>>idea.
>>
>>Trouble is, every time I sit down to finish it, I get another bright
>>idea and another afternoon vanishes while I play. I figure I'll just
>>about have it done by the time I need to upgrade it for Slack 14. :)
>
> Doesn't surprise me, there's only so much to play with, before one needs
> the PC for something better than installing software ;)
>
> The one box I'd like to do a tight install on, my Internet facing
> firewall box, is working well on slack-11, so why break it? I've not
> updated beyond apache-1.3 -- so there's perhaps some troubles there for
> my websites.
>
> Procrastination is so easy :) Simply let it be...
>
> Grant.

Yeah, but nothing ever goes wrong with Slackware unless you play with it!

Trying out bright ideas after a few nights of bad sleep helps. %)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Grant on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 19:19:22 +0000 (UTC), Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:

>Responding to Grant:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:08:49 +0000 (UTC), Mike Jones
>> <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>Responding to Grant:
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>

>>>I'm working on one ATM.
>>>
>>>Step-1 Rip out all the stuff I don't want (from a list)
>>>
>>>Step-2 Installpkg everything in a "install these" dir
>>>
>>>Step-3 Copy in a collection of established system files
>>>
>>>Step-4 Create usual user accounts
>>>
>>>Step-5 Drop in those user's particular account configs etc.
>>>
>>>Step-6 Seek through available partitions and add mounts to /etc/
>fstab

Since I install rarely, most of this is manual, but I do keep copies
of common files on an nfs export:

grant(a)deltree:~$ ls -las /home/common/
total 363361
1 drwxr-xr-x 21 grant wheel 976 2010-07-08 18:12 ./
0 drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 456 2010-07-15 16:10 ../
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 grant wheel 65 2008-06-05 18:16 .bash_profile
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 grant wheel 37 2008-06-11 12:44 .bashrc
0 drwxr-xr-x 2 grant users 80 2009-05-23 19:00 .ssh/
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 grant wheel 2549 2008-05-30 11:15 .vimrc

The /home/common export is mounted rw by all Linux machines here,
also mounted by the windoze boxen. It is the source of kernel
patches, common files, and destination for status reports or stuff
to be made visible to windoze, or delivered from windows. I find
the concept of a localnet-wide common area very useful.

>>>There are more fiddly bits it does, like particular mounting types for
>>>any user dirs within USERDATA root dirs, and so forth, but you get the
>>>idea.

At the moment I have only five PCs here, so not worth it to automate
installs too far.

>>>Trouble is, every time I sit down to finish it, I get another bright
>>>idea and another afternoon vanishes while I play. I figure I'll just
>>>about have it done by the time I need to upgrade it for Slack 14. :)
>>
>> Doesn't surprise me, there's only so much to play with, before one needs
>> the PC for something better than installing software ;)
>>
>> The one box I'd like to do a tight install on, my Internet facing
>> firewall box, is working well on slack-11, so why break it? I've not
>> updated beyond apache-1.3 -- so there's perhaps some troubles there for
>> my websites.
>>
>> Procrastination is so easy :) Simply let it be...
>>
>> Grant.
>

>Yeah, but nothing ever goes wrong with Slackware unless you play with it!

There's that, yes. But I get queasy thinking about converting some
tricky apache stuff through several major upgrade steps. Very easy
to put off.

>Trying out bright ideas after a few nights of bad sleep helps. %)

It does? Repairing said damage much easier after a good night or two's
sleep.

Grant.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Grant:

[...]
>>Yeah, but nothing ever goes wrong with Slackware unless you play with
>>it!
>
> There's that, yes. But I get queasy thinking about converting some
> tricky apache stuff through several major upgrade steps. Very easy to
> put off.
>>
>>Trying out bright ideas after a few nights of bad sleep helps. %)
>
> It does? Repairing said damage much easier after a good night or two's
> sleep.

NOW you're getting the idea! :)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/