From: Harold Johanssen on
Elvis, he default VI-like editor shipped with Slackware, saves
data under /var/tmp as elvis1.ses, elvis2.ses and so on. If the system
happens to be brought down in the middle of an editing session, the
session can be retrieved by doing

elvis -r

and the editor will load the data in /var/tmp/elvis1.ses. It seems to be
the case that at this point one can retrieve the corresponding file by
doing

:(buffer) w

where buffer is the name of the buffer to be recovered (see http://
elvis.the-little-red-haired-girl.org/elvisman/elvisses.html.)

My question is, What name should be used for buffer? The
documentation says that this is usually (When is it not?) the name of the
original file - which is fine, if you have a single session file. If you
have several, things can get dicey quickly.

Is it possible to retrieve information about the filename in a
simple way from the elvis*.session files themselves?
From: Eef Hartman on
Harold Johanssen <noemail(a)please.net> wrote:
> Elvis, he default VI-like editor shipped with Slackware, saves
> data under /var/tmp as elvis1.ses, elvis2.ses and so on. If the system
> happens to be brought down in the middle of an editing session, the
> session can be retrieved by doing
>
> elvis -r
>
> and the editor will load the data in /var/tmp/elvis1.ses. It seems to be
> the case that at this point one can retrieve the corresponding file by
> doing

As far as I know all vi's, including elvis, will need
elvis -r <all of the original filenames>
so that each of the session files can be matched against their specific
buffers. As far as I know no filename info exists IN the session files,
but "elvis1.ses" will be matched with the first filename given on the
commandline, etc.

But I admit, haven't been using elvis anymore the last few years,
vim is much more powerful and IT does match session names with
original filenames (it creates .<filename>.swp in the same dir AS
the file itself instead of making use of /var/tmp).
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **

Pages: 1
Prev: Crash Recovery
Next: scripted custom installs