From: Danno on
I've endured a couple of fairly hard crashes recently (power outage, failed UPS), am trying to recover, but am wondering if things are beyond recovery this time.
I'm able to boot up, and my commonly used apps seem to run, but I notice the output of "top" and "ps" no longer show CPU percentage for specific tasks (everything is 0.0), "top" seems to be showing proper memory accounting, though. I'm also getting an occasional crash of an application for no obvious reason. I suspect the two are related, perhaps the CPU/core management has been affected, but it is a little beyond my experience to know for sure. Would a hard crash affect /proc after a reboot? My understanding is that the kernel needs /proc to manage processes.
I'm running Slack.12.2, stock SMP 2.6.27.7 kernel except for the nVidia module, have considered simply re-installing the kernel from the installation disc, but am not sure if that will restore the /proc interface?
Any direction or insight would be helpful.

--
Slackware 12.2, 2.6.27.7, Core i7 920, GeForce 8400 GS
RLU #272755
From: Grant on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:23:59 -0600, Danno <WhoaBaby(a)MySecretPlace.org> wrote:

> I've endured a couple of fairly hard crashes recently (power outage, failed UPS), am trying to recover, but am wondering if things are beyond recovery this time.
> I'm able to boot up, and my commonly used apps seem to run, but I notice the output of "top" and "ps" no longer show CPU percentage for specific tasks (everything is 0.0), "top" seems to be showing proper memory accounting, though. I'm also getting an occasional crash of an application for no obvious reason. I suspect the two are related, perhaps the CPU/core management has been affected, but it is a little beyond my experience to know for sure. Would a hard crash affect /proc after a reboot? My understanding is that the kernel needs /proc to manage processes.
> I'm running Slack.12.2, stock SMP 2.6.27.7 kernel except for the nVidia module, have considered simply re-installing the kernel from the installation disc, but am not sure if that will restore the /proc interface?
> Any direction or insight would be helpful.

I've not encountered post-crash problems that you report. If you think
reinstalling the kernel will fix it, try that and tell us what happens?
Wont do any harm ;)

Which filesystem, what post-crash actions did you take to repair or
check filesystem?

Grant.
From: Eef Hartman on
Danno <WhoaBaby(a)mysecretplace.org> wrote:
> Would a hard crash affect /proc after a reboot?
> My understanding is that the kernel needs /proc to manage processes.

/proc should be newly created AFTER a crash/reboot, it is a
pseudo-filesystem as interface TO the running kernel.
The Kernel itself doesn't need it as it IS a projection of internal
kernel data TO the pseudo ps, but top and ps _do_ need a correctly
filled-in /proc as they get most of their onfo from it.
It must be mounted, though, with a line like this (in /etc/fstab):
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **
From: Danno on
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 07:45:45 +1000
Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:23:59 -0600, Danno <WhoaBaby(a)MySecretPlace.org> wrote:
>
> > I've endured a couple of fairly hard crashes recently (power outage, failed UPS), am trying to recover, but am wondering if things are beyond recovery this time.
> > I'm able to boot up, and my commonly used apps seem to run, but I notice the output of "top" and "ps" no longer show CPU percentage for specific tasks (everything is 0.0), "top" seems to be showing proper memory accounting, though. I'm also getting an occasional crash of an application for no obvious reason. I suspect the two are related, perhaps the CPU/core management has been affected, but it is a little beyond my experience to know for sure. Would a hard crash affect /proc after a reboot? My understanding is that the kernel needs /proc to manage processes.
> > I'm running Slack.12.2, stock SMP 2.6.27.7 kernel except for the nVidia module, have considered simply re-installing the kernel from the installation disc, but am not sure if that will restore the /proc interface?
> > Any direction or insight would be helpful.
>
> I've not encountered post-crash problems that you report. If you think
> reinstalling the kernel will fix it, try that and tell us what happens?
> Wont do any harm ;)
>
> Which filesystem, what post-crash actions did you take to repair or
> check filesystem?
>
> Grant.

Had been running XFS on two partitions, ran xfs_repair, which caught some inconsistencies, but the random crashes and issues with /proc ultimately convinced me to do a fresh install of 13.1 (and get a new friggin UPS). The KDE was pooched enough that I couldn't start it, all my Wine apps started misbehaving, my bittorrent servent was unreliable... it seemed the effort spent recovering the 12.2 install will be better spent bringing 13.1 up to snuff. FWIW, migrating Sylpheed from 12.2 to 13.1 was a breeze. I hope the rest goes so smoothly...

--
Slackware 13.1, 2.6.33.4-smp, Core i7 920
RLU #272755
From: Danno on
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 18:06:27 +0200
Eef Hartman <E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl> wrote:

> Danno <WhoaBaby(a)mysecretplace.org> wrote:
> > Would a hard crash affect /proc after a reboot?
> > My understanding is that the kernel needs /proc to manage processes.
>
> /proc should be newly created AFTER a crash/reboot, it is a
> pseudo-filesystem as interface TO the running kernel.
> The Kernel itself doesn't need it as it IS a projection of internal
> kernel data TO the pseudo ps, but top and ps _do_ need a correctly
> filled-in /proc as they get most of their onfo from it.
> It must be mounted, though, with a line like this (in /etc/fstab):
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
> ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **

Thanks. fstab was unaffected, /proc was mounted properly, but it would appear /proc wasn't being written/updated properly by the running kernel. I was doing a lot of disc I/O when it went down, so maybe some low-level I/O part of the kernel had been affected... Anywa, I've installed a SATA drive, upgraded to 13.1, so I'll run from here. Thanks for the reply.