From: r2rcode on
i need a fomula that will search down a specified cells in a column... look
at the words in each cell and then display the text i want. for instance...
I have a column with words in it and i want it to search through each
cell/word for the letter "P"... then i want it to display a "P". if there
are one or many instances where a "P" is in that column I want to only
display "P".
From: T. Valko on
Maybe something like this...

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("P",A1:A20)))),"P","")

In this formula case is not a factor. P and p are equal.

If you want it so that case is a factor just replace SEARCH with FIND.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP