From: Claus Aßmann on
Marcus Schopen wrote:

> after running sendmail 8.14.3-5 with mimedefang 2.64 on debian/lenny very
> stable for about a month, I got two libmilter segfaults within three days:

Do you get a core dump? Then it should be fairly easy to track down
where the error occurs and hopefully what causes it. If there isn't a
core dump file, check the docs for your OS how to enable core dumps.
From: Marcus Schopen on
Am Sat, 06 Mar 2010 01:49:24 +0000 schrieb Claus Aßmann:

> Marcus Schopen wrote:
>
>> after running sendmail 8.14.3-5 with mimedefang 2.64 on debian/lenny
>> very stable for about a month, I got two libmilter segfaults within
>> three days:
>
> Do you get a core dump? Then it should be fairly easy to track down
> where the error occurs and hopefully what causes it. If there isn't a
> core dump file, check the docs for your OS how to enable core dumps.

No, I didn't get a core file. I've installed the worker.c.patch written
by Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz ( http://www.j-chkmail.org/download/
libmilter/ ).

Ciao,
Marcus
From: Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz on
Marcus Schopen wrote:
> Am Sat, 06 Mar 2010 01:49:24 +0000 schrieb Claus Aßmann:

>> Do you get a core dump? Then it should be fairly easy to track down
>> where the error occurs and hopefully what causes it. If there isn't a
>> core dump file, check the docs for your OS how to enable core dumps.
>
> No, I didn't get a core file. I've installed the worker.c.patch written
> by Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz ( http://www.j-chkmail.org/download/
> libmilter/ ).

That patch corrects a bug in the pool of workers in libmilter before and including sendmail 8.14.3.
People using sendmail 8.14.4 don't need this patch.

This bug and the patch is known to debian maintainers since july 2009 (nine months now) but,
unfortunately, it seems that this issue doesn't deserve their attention.

Hopefully someday they'll integrate the patch or, still better, update Lenny sendmail to 8.14.4.
Maybe within 5 or 6 years...

From: Claus Aßmann on
Marcus Schopen wrote:
> Am Sat, 06 Mar 2010 01:49:24 +0000 schrieb Claus Aßmann:

> > where the error occurs and hopefully what causes it. If there isn't a
> > core dump file, check the docs for your OS how to enable core dumps.

> No, I didn't get a core file. I've installed the worker.c.patch written

Sorry, but without a core and a backtrace it's next to impossible to
help.