From: kpg on
I think I've figured it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POP_before_SMTP

A security technique used by some mail servers is to have the user first
connect to the pop server before the smtp server will allow access.

I'll give it a try tomorrow and follow up.

From: Mayayana on
|I think I've figured it out.
|
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POP_before_SMTP
|
| A security technique used by some mail servers is to have the user first
| connect to the pop server before the smtp server will allow access.
|
| I'll give it a try tomorrow and follow up.

Possible, but I'd guess that's an outdated method.
Most SMTP servers didn't used to require authentication.
In that scenario the "POP before SMTP" would make
sense to provide flexibility with the sending IP. But when
the SMTP server requires a password, POP before SMTP
would be redundant.

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"MikeD" <nobody(a)nowhere.edu> wrote:

>The other thing
>you can do is use an SMPT server that DOESN'T require logging in. Most
>likely, this WON'T be the user's SMTP server. You can use any SMTP server.
>It doesn't HAVE to be the user's. But in order to avoid providing
>credentials, it's probably one that you need to provide and it'd be open
>(meaning ANYONE could theoretically use it if they know about it).

This probably won't work for many consumer level users, and possibly
corporate ones too, as many ISPs are requiring you to send out going
email via thier SMTP server. They've blocked port 25 access to other
SMTP servers other than their own.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Jim Mack on
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> "MikeD" <nobody(a)nowhere.edu> wrote:
>
>> The other thing
>> you can do is use an SMPT server that DOESN'T require logging in.
>> Most likely, this WON'T be the user's SMTP server. You can use any
>> SMTP server. It doesn't HAVE to be the user's. But in order to
>> avoid providing credentials, it's probably one that you need to
>> provide and it'd be open (meaning ANYONE could theoretically use
>> it if they know about it).
>
> This probably won't work for many consumer level users, and possibly
> corporate ones too, as many ISPs are requiring you to send out going
> email via thier SMTP server. They've blocked port 25 access to
> other SMTP servers other than their own.

Correct. These days any 'open relay' would be quickly discovered and
become a spam gusher.

You must authenticate, and possibly use a port other than 25, to send
mail in a system of any size today. Whether this is done using "POP
first" (becoming rare), plain text (PW), or secure auth, etc., you
still need to get authorized.

--
Jim Mack
Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Jim Mack" <jmack(a)mdxi.nospam.com> wrote:

>>> The other thing
>>> you can do is use an SMPT server that DOESN'T require logging in.
>>> Most likely, this WON'T be the user's SMTP server. You can use any
>>> SMTP server. It doesn't HAVE to be the user's. But in order to
>>> avoid providing credentials, it's probably one that you need to
>>> provide and it'd be open (meaning ANYONE could theoretically use
>>> it if they know about it).
>>
>> This probably won't work for many consumer level users, and possibly
>> corporate ones too, as many ISPs are requiring you to send out going
>> email via thier SMTP server. They've blocked port 25 access to
>> other SMTP servers other than their own.
>
>Correct. These days any 'open relay' would be quickly discovered and
>become a spam gusher.

Actually my paragraph had nothing to do with a mail server being an
open relay.

>You must authenticate, and possibly use a port other than 25, to send
>mail in a system of any size today. Whether this is done using "POP
>first" (becoming rare), plain text (PW), or secure auth, etc., you
>still need to get authorized.

Not possibly but almost certainly use a port other than 25. Even then
I vaguely recall one ISP doing some kind of packet inspection and not
allowing me to connect on port 2525 to a mail server.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP