From: Karl E. Peterson on
It seems that Microsoft has accidentally created a few groups over the
years, then removed them from their own servers. I'm afraid it's a
hit/miss story, though, as far as them still being available on the
broader usenet. Two I'm aware of:

microsoft.public.access
microsoft.public.word.programming

On some NNTP servers, not on others. I don't know by what criteria
NNTP admins accept rmgroup commands, but my impression was most don't
these days because they're so easily forged. Question is, how long the
old microsoft.public.vb.* hierarchy will survive in the wild?

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Ulrich Korndoerfer wrote:
> I just posted to dbp:
> Following a cite of one of his posts regarding how he will proceed in the
> case of the MS shutdown:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/news.admin.hierarchies/browse_thread/thread/67439c68236e7e35

Saw that, yeah. Depressing. But it's a good lead to follow-up on!

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: dpb on
Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> Ulrich Korndoerfer wrote:
>> I just posted to dbp:
>> Following a cite of one of his posts regarding how he will proceed in
>> the case of the MS shutdown:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/news.admin.hierarchies/browse_thread/thread/67439c68236e7e35
>>

> Saw that, yeah. Depressing. But it's a good lead to follow-up on!

Not terribly unsurprising I suppose. But note Tim Kirvian's (sp?)
response of fast-tracking comp.* groups....

If you're not happy w/ the use of existing comp.* groups, that's way I'd
suggest going.

From: Nobody on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
> It seems that Microsoft has accidentally created a few groups over the
> years, then removed them from their own servers. I'm afraid it's a
> hit/miss story, though, as far as them still being available on the
> broader usenet. Two I'm aware of:
>
> microsoft.public.access
> microsoft.public.word.programming
>
> On some NNTP servers, not on others. I don't know by what criteria NNTP
> admins accept rmgroup commands, but my impression was most don't these
> days because they're so easily forged. Question is, how long the old
> microsoft.public.vb.* hierarchy will survive in the wild?

The following specific group doesn't show up in msnews server, but my
ISP(Cox) shows it. I don't know if there is such a thing as a hidden
newsgroup.

microsoft.public.vb

Google stopped indexing it since 2008 although my ISP shows some posts, one
from this year, and 9 posts from 2009. Here is the link to Google version:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb/about?hl=en

Here is a link to msnews for that group.

When I click on the link, I get the following error:

411 no such newsgroup

Configuration:
Account: msnews.microsoft.com
Server: msnews.microsoft.com
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Error Number: 411
Code: 800ccca5

From: Karl E. Peterson on
dpb wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>> Ulrich Korndoerfer wrote:
>>> I just posted to dbp:
>>> Following a cite of one of his posts regarding how he will proceed in the
>>> case of the MS shutdown:
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/news.admin.hierarchies/browse_thread/thread/67439c68236e7e35
>>>

>> Saw that, yeah. Depressing. But it's a good lead to follow-up on!
>
> Not terribly unsurprising I suppose. But note Tim Kirvian's (sp?) response
> of fast-tracking comp.* groups....
>
> If you're not happy w/ the use of existing comp.* groups, that's way I'd
> suggest going.

Yeah, Big8 seems aware of this particular Microsoft reamjob, and is
offering to help out as best they can.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org