From: Mehul Ved on
On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> This host is a web server that happens to run postfix correct?  Not the other
> way 'round?

It's mainly a mail server which also runs a web server.

>  Does this web server run apache and php?

Yes.

>  Were both fully patched
> up to the day the problems started?
>
> I assume you see where I'm going with this.

Yes, Will look into that too.

From: Wietse Venema on
You write that mail is stuck in the active queue.
Have you looked at the Postfix logs for warnings?

http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#logging

Look for obvious signs of trouble

Postfix logs all failed and successful deliveries to a logfile. The file is
usually called /var/log/maillog or /var/log/mail; the exact pathname is defined
in the /etc/syslog.conf file.

When Postfix does not receive or deliver mail, the first order of business is
to look for errors that prevent Postfix from working properly:

% egrep '(warning|error|fatal|panic):' /some/log/file | more

Note: the most important message is near the BEGINNING of the output. Error
messages that come later are less useful.

The nature of each problem is indicated as follows:

* "panic" indicates a problem in the software itself that only a programmer
can fix. Postfix cannot proceed until this is fixed.

* "fatal" is the result of missing files, incorrect permissions, incorrect
configuration file settings that you can fix. Postfix cannot proceed until
this is fixed.

* "error" reports an error condition. For safety reasons, a Postfix process
will terminate when more than 13 of these happen.

* "warning" indicates a non-fatal error. These are problems that you may not
be able to fix (such as a broken DNS server elsewhere on the network) but
may also indicate local configuration errors that could become a problem
later.

From: Mehul Ved on
On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse(a)porcupine.org> wrote:
> You write that mail is stuck in the active queue.
> Have you looked at the Postfix logs for warnings?
>
> http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#logging
>
> Look for obvious signs of trouble

Dec 19 00:51:55 www postfix/local[25863]: warning: pipe_command_read:
read time limit exceeded
Dec 19 00:52:16 www postfix/pickup[25514]: fatal: watchdog timeout

This is a common thing each time watchdog timeout occurs there's a
pipe_command_read limit exceeded warning. Logs at
http://www.progresspartners.co.in/maillog

From: Wietse Venema on
Mehul Ved:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse(a)porcupine.org> wrote:
> > You write that mail is stuck in the active queue.
> > Have you looked at the Postfix logs for warnings?
> >
> > http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#logging
> >
> > Look for obvious signs of trouble
>
> Dec 19 00:51:55 www postfix/local[25863]: warning: pipe_command_read:
> read time limit exceeded
> Dec 19 00:52:16 www postfix/pickup[25514]: fatal: watchdog timeout
>
> This is a common thing each time watchdog timeout occurs there's a
> pipe_command_read limit exceeded warning. Logs at
> http://www.progresspartners.co.in/maillog

I think your system is in a state of serious overload. There are
tons of "connection refused" for internal services, and watchdog timeout
and other timeouts that should NEVER EVER happen.

Reduce default_process_limit to 50, do "postfix reload" and see
if the errors go away.

Wietse

From: Noel Jones on
On 12/21/2009 5:01 AM, Mehul Ved wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Noel Jones<njones(a)megan.vbhcs.org> wrote:
>> Your original complaint is that postfix is not sending or receiving mail.
>> The only evidence I see of that in the log file is
>>
>> Dec 19 21:21:42 www postfix/smtpd[18342]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
>> unknown[190.2.225.89]: 550 5.1.1<ndhe(a)hitechplast.net>: Recipient address
>> rejected: User unknown in local recipient table;
>> from=<moonlito7(a)riscy.monsanto.com> to=<ndhe(a)hitechplast.
>
> Pasting more logs from previous day
>
>> So...
>> 1. TURN OFF VERBOSE LOGGING
>
> I haven't enabled verbose logging, I checked both master.cf and
> main.cf but there's no verbose logging enabled. Or am I missing
> something?
>
>> 2. show some evidence of postfix not sending or receiving mail.
>
> logs after the problem occurred - http://pastebin.ca/1722318

Nothing useful here. Everything you show looks quite normal,
although the lack of qmgr logging is probably significant.
Probably more interesting stuff is logged earlier.

Showing random snips of your log is not particularly helpful.
We need to see the parts where things aren't working right;
error/warning/fatal/panic and the lines around them for context.
http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#logging

Just for fun you might try turning off TLS and see if it makes
any difference, but when you change stuff between postings,
make sure to tell us what has been changed.

> logs before the problem occurred - http://pastebin.ca/1722322
> I couldn't paste the whole log as the file is 50mb in size. Each day's
> logs come out to 5MB+ too.
>
>> 3. show the contents of master.cf
>
> http://pastebin.ca/1722112

This master.cf doesn't match the logs you posted earlier.
Maybe you have postfix files in multiple directories?

This may help you
http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html
In particular,
http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#logging

Some systems are configured to store postfix logs in multiple
files. This can make finding information a challenge. Check
your syslog.conf and "man syslog" to see where your system is
saving postfix logging.

-- Noel Jones