From: Don McKenzie on
Does anyone know of any serial interfaced (RX/TX) 1Mb-ish, (or larger)
flash ram storage systems for micros? Needs a simple file like indexed
system, so data chunks can be written, retreived, and deleted. Much like
a hard drive system.

I know a USB ram drive will do this, but I would like something to
interface easily to any micro with a uart.

Thanks in advance,
Don...

Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller.
Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16460
From: Donald on
Don McKenzie wrote:

> Does anyone know of any serial interfaced (RX/TX) 1Mb-ish, (or larger)

Serial Data Flash from ATMEL ( and others ) have this, tho it is SPI.
http://atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?family_id=616

> flash ram storage systems for micros? Needs a simple file like indexed

This is a block orintated device.

> system, so data chunks can be written, retreived, and deleted. Much like
> a hard drive system.

A hard drive is block based and buss based flash chips are linear.

A block based device (hard drive or Flash Cards ) have some sort of file
system such as FAT16 / FAT32 or others that don't seem to mater much.

So, I don't understand your question ??

> I know a USB ram drive will do this, but I would like something to

USB drives are always FLASH based, I have never heard of a USB _ram_ drive.

> interface easily to any micro with a uart.

This is one I have done some research on :

http://www.alfat.co.uk/alfat.html

but I have not used it.

I found is their docs that it apears kind of slow.
The max data rate is less then 1M Bit serial. Then there is the
programming time. Only one file open at a time.

I used a ATmega32 and a compact flash card and approched 4 MBytes/sec
transfer rate for 512 byte blocks.

This was only a read/write test, so I did not have any file system code.

Good luck

donald

From: Donald Harris on

"Donald" <Donald(a)dontdoithere.com> wrote in message
> Don McKenzie wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of any serial interfaced (RX/TX) 1Mb-ish, (or larger)
>
> Serial Data Flash from ATMEL ( and others ) have this, tho it is SPI.
> http://atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?family_id=616
>
>> flash ram storage systems for micros? Needs a simple file like indexed
>
> This is a block orintated device.
>
>> system, so data chunks can be written, retreived, and deleted. Much like
>> a hard drive system.
>
> A hard drive is block based and buss based flash chips are linear.
>
> A block based device (hard drive or Flash Cards ) have some sort of file
> system such as FAT16 / FAT32 or others that don't seem to mater much.
>
> So, I don't understand your question ??
>

>> I know a USB ram drive will do this, but I would like something to
>
> USB drives are always FLASH based, I have never heard of a USB _ram_
> drive.
>
>> interface easily to any micro with a uart.
>
> This is one I have done some research on :
>
> http://www.alfat.co.uk/alfat.html
>
> but I have not used it.
>
> I found is their docs that it apears kind of slow.
> The max data rate is less then 1M Bit serial. Then there is the
> programming time. Only one file open at a time.
>
> I used a ATmega32 and a compact flash card and approched 4 MBytes/sec
> transfer rate for 512 byte blocks.
>
> This was only a read/write test, so I did not have any file system code.
>
> Good luck
>
> donald
>

>> Thanks in advance,
>> Don...
>>

>> Don McKenzie
>> E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
>>
>> Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller.
>> Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes.
>> http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16460

Check out the uMMC from Rogue Robotics. www.roguerobotics.com
It uses a SD card for storage. Serial (TTL level) interface. FAT16 format.

Don

From: Don McKenzie on
Donald Harris wrote:

> Check out the uMMC from Rogue Robotics. www.roguerobotics.com
> It uses a SD card for storage. Serial (TTL level) interface. FAT16 format.

Thank you Donald, and Donald, from Don :-)

As per normal, my initial question may not have explained fully what it
was I was chasing, but two very good leads. The Rogue Robotics device
seems close to my needs.

From: thedoc on

"Don McKenzie" <look(a)mysig.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know of any serial interfaced (RX/TX) 1Mb-ish, (or larger)
> flash ram storage systems for micros? Needs a simple file like indexed
> system, so data chunks can be written, retreived, and deleted. Much like a
> hard drive system.
>
> I know a USB ram drive will do this, but I would like something to
> interface easily to any micro with a uart.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Don...
>

> Don McKenzie
> E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
>
> Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller.
> Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes.
> http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16460

The ST25p64 series works for me.