From: Vince Coen on
Hello All!

Anyone know of a adaptor that will allow a RS232 device (uses a 25 pin plug
but can convert that to 9 pin) to send data to a USB printer.

Nope, its not that simple:

The device has settings via a dip switch to change:
baud rate
Stop bits
data bits (even/odd)
Printer/PC bit
etc

It is NOT a PC device. It is connected to a burglar alarm and will allow me to
print out the set up and error logs. It should be connected to a serial
printer but these are now getting quite hard to find cheaply.
So this means that the adaptor must work without the use of a device driver.
I'm hoping I can just connect any USB printer and it will do a basic printout.

Can anyone help with this?

My only other option (if it would work) is to connect the RS232 port to a 9
pin serial port of a laptop and use Hyperlink or minicom to mimic a printer
and capture the output and then print it off if needed.

Vince

From: Rikishi 42 on
On 2008-04-08, Vince Coen <VBCoenDespawn(a)btconnect.com> wrote:

> Anyone know of a adaptor that will allow a RS232 device (uses a 25 pin plug
> but can convert that to 9 pin) to send data to a USB printer.
>
> Nope, its not that simple:
>
> The device has settings via a dip switch to change:
> baud rate
> Stop bits
> data bits (even/odd)
> Printer/PC bit
> etc
>
> It is NOT a PC device. It is connected to a burglar alarm and will allow me to
> print out the set up and error logs. It should be connected to a serial
> printer but these are now getting quite hard to find cheaply.
> So this means that the adaptor must work without the use of a device driver.
> I'm hoping I can just connect any USB printer and it will do a basic printout.
>
> Can anyone help with this?
>
> My only other option (if it would work) is to connect the RS232 port to a 9
> pin serial port of a laptop and use Hyperlink or minicom to mimic a printer
> and capture the output and then print it off if needed.
I think that's a much better solution anyway. It's likely to be easier to
connect a laptop for a few minutes, rather then move a printer. And second,
you might be ablt to use that computer to setup the alarm, if it allows
that.

Douglas Adams
From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Vince Coen <VBCoenDespawn(a)btconnect.com> wrote:
> Hello All!

> Anyone know of a adaptor that will allow a RS232 device (uses a 25 pin plug
> but can convert that to 9 pin) to send data to a USB printer.

> Nope, its not that simple:

> The device has settings via a dip switch to change:
> baud rate
> Stop bits
> data bits (even/odd)
> Printer/PC bit
> etc

> It is NOT a PC device. It is connected to a burglar alarm and will
> allow me to print out the set up and error logs. It should be
> connected to a serial printer but these are now getting quite hard
> to find cheaply. So this means that the adaptor must work without
> the use of a device driver. I'm hoping I can just connect any USB
> printer and it will do a basic printout.

> Can anyone help with this?

This is basically infeasible without a full computer as bridge,
as USB is a bus controlled by a master.

> My only other option (if it would work) is to connect the RS232 port
> to a 9 pin serial port of a laptop and use Hyperlink or minicom to
> mimic a printer and capture the output and then print it off if
> needed.

That should be easy. Serial printers are basically passive,
i.e. input only except for the handhsking signals. Set
sioftware handshake (x-on/x-off) on both sides for the
easiset configuration.

You need the right cable though. Serial cables can be tricky.
I think it needs to be one that swaps RX and TX. BTW, if
you only have a computer without serial port, a lot of
usb-to-serial converters work well under Linux.

Arno

From: Vince Coen on
Hello Arno!

18 Apr 08 02:42, Arno Wagner wrote to All:

AW> Previously Vince Coen <VBCoenDespawn(a)btconnect.com> wrote:
>> Hello All!

>> Anyone know of a adaptor that will allow a RS232 device (uses a 25
>> pin plug but can convert that to 9 pin) to send data to a USB
>> printer.

>> Nope, its not that simple:

>> The device has settings via a dip switch to change:
>> baud rate
>> Stop bits
>> data bits (even/odd)
>> Printer/PC bit
>> etc

>> It is NOT a PC device. It is connected to a burglar alarm and will
>> allow me to print out the set up and error logs. It should be
>> connected to a serial printer but these are now getting quite hard
>> to find cheaply. So this means that the adaptor must work without
>> the use of a device driver. I'm hoping I can just connect any USB
>> printer and it will do a basic printout.

>> Can anyone help with this?

AW> This is basically infeasible without a full computer as bridge,
AW> as USB is a bus controlled by a master.

>> My only other option (if it would work) is to connect the RS232 port
>> to a 9 pin serial port of a laptop and use Hyperlink or minicom to
>> mimic a printer and capture the output and then print it off if
>> needed.

AW> That should be easy. Serial printers are basically passive,
AW> i.e. input only except for the handhsking signals. Set
AW> sioftware handshake (x-on/x-off) on both sides for the
AW> easiset configuration.

AW> You need the right cable though. Serial cables can be tricky.
AW> I think it needs to be one that swaps RX and TX. BTW, if
AW> you only have a computer without serial port, a lot of
AW> usb-to-serial converters work well under Linux.

Yes, thats the way I've gone. I used a breakout box to link (on db25) pins
6,8 & 20 as well as 4 & 5 and attached a long serial ribbon cable to my PC
running Linux and Minicom and captured the output from the alarm and this was
a few days after I found the cable on a shelf and nearly threw it away as
unneeded.

Using the laptop under Win98SE did not work using hyperterminal.

Thanks for all the replies,

Vince

From: Harry Skelton on
Arno Wagner wrote:
> Previously Vince Coen <VBCoenDespawn(a)btconnect.com> wrote:
>> Hello All!
>
>> Anyone know of a adaptor that will allow a RS232 device (uses a 25 pin plug
>> but can convert that to 9 pin) to send data to a USB printer.
>

> This is basically infeasible without a full computer as bridge,
> as USB is a bus controlled by a master.

There is a company that has a Parallel to USB converter (yes it seems
backwards, but it works). You could then front-end it with a serial to
parallel converter.

Try:
http://www.ipcas.com/products/centronics-parallel-to-usb-printer.html

There are others out there too, like: http://www.epapersign.com/parallel2usb