From: Sara on
I am trying to create a series of sums for a rather long spreadsheet with
mulitple variables. I have several rows on my spread sheet, each categorized
in genres such as "apple", "orange", and "pear." There is also a numerical
value in a separate column for each of my rows that I want to associate with
the categories I mentioned. I want to be able to get the total sum of each
category. It is a very long spreadsheet, and it is not sorted by these
categories because there are other variables involved. Because the
spreadsheet is so long, I don't just want to create a sum formula with each
individual cell selected. Also, I sometimes add and subtract rows, so that
solution would not hold up. Is there a way to associate the numerical value
with the category within a row and then somehow get the sum of each similar
category for the entire spreadsheet. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your
help.

apple 5
orange 6
pear 10
apple 3
orange 11
pear 4

sum of apple
sum of orange
sum of pear

From: Gord Dibben on
Data>SubTotal will do what you want.

Subtotal on unique items in your list of fruit.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 12:53:01 -0700, Sara <Sara(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am trying to create a series of sums for a rather long spreadsheet with
>mulitple variables. I have several rows on my spread sheet, each categorized
>in genres such as "apple", "orange", and "pear." There is also a numerical
>value in a separate column for each of my rows that I want to associate with
>the categories I mentioned. I want to be able to get the total sum of each
>category. It is a very long spreadsheet, and it is not sorted by these
>categories because there are other variables involved. Because the
>spreadsheet is so long, I don't just want to create a sum formula with each
>individual cell selected. Also, I sometimes add and subtract rows, so that
>solution would not hold up. Is there a way to associate the numerical value
>with the category within a row and then somehow get the sum of each similar
>category for the entire spreadsheet. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your
>help.
>
>apple 5
>orange 6
>pear 10