From: annalissa on
Hi all,

what is the linux equivalent services of server & workstation services
in windows XP ?
From: Loki Harfagr on
Thu, 22 Jul 2010 01:36:36 -0700, annalissa did cat :

> Hi all,
>
> what is the linux equivalent services of server & workstation services
> in windows XP ?

a chocolate-covered banana?
From: The Natural Philosopher on
annalissa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> what is the linux equivalent services of server & workstation services
> in windows XP ?
the same as the distinction between carrot tops and the root, in a lettuce?.
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 01:36:36 -0700, annalissa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> what is the linux equivalent services of server & workstation services
> in windows XP ?

Could you be more specific? Which services?

From: Mark Hobley on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 01:36:36 -0700, annalissa wrote:

> what is the linux equivalent services of server & workstation services
> in windows XP ?

"Server service" provides file print and named pipe sharing over the network.

So we have nfs for file sharing, printer sharing via lpd/lpr (or we can use
samba or cups).

For pipelines we can use the internet superservice daemon to route data to
processes as we require.

(We also have samba, which provides Microsoft Windows compatible networking)

"Workstation service" allows client machines to connect the computer. I guess
that means remote procedure call. (We have rsh)

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/