From: Tim Pease on
On Nov 12, 2009, at 2:02 PM, Tim Pease wrote:

> Serv-O-Lux version 0.8.0
> by Tim Pease
> http://gemcutter.org/gems/servolux

Just to follow up to my own post, a small bugfix release has been issued: servolux v0.8.1

When oh when will I learn "test first, THEN release". You can see the bugfix changes on the GitHub repository ... http://github.com/TwP/servolux/blob/master/History.txt

Blessings,
TwP
From: Michael Guterl on
Tim,

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Tim Pease <tim.pease(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Serv-O-Lux version 0.8.0
>    by Tim Pease
>    http://gemcutter.org/gems/servolux
>
> == DESCRIPTION
>
> Serv-O-Lux is a collection of Ruby classes that are useful for daemon and
> process management, and for writing your own Ruby services. The code is well
> documented and tested. It works with Ruby and JRuby supporing both 1.8 and 1.9
> interpreters.
>
> The biggest addition is a Preforking Worker Pool that can be used to process
> jobs on multiple CPUs using child processes. See the beanstalk example for a
> quick overview:
>
> http://github.com/TwP/servolux/blob/master/examples/beanstalk.rb
>
> == CHANGES
>
> * 2 Major Enhancements
>  * Preforking worker pool
> * 1 Minor Enhancement
>  * Default return value for Piper#gets (useful for detecting timeouts)
> * 2 Bug Fixes
>  * The piper is now using a socket pair for bidirectional communication
>  * The piper now defaults to a blocking mode (nil timeout)

This is awesome! I am particularly interested in the Preforking Worker Pool.

Thanks so much,
Michael Guterl