From: Brandon Mr on
first off, sorry if this in the wrong place, i just signed up here.
if so, let me know where to put further posts.

i am looking for a way to make a customized gui, like using differently
shaped windows or graphics for the window borders, while allowing me to
add buttons (using images) i dont mind researching things and learning
how they work and i dont mind having to learn a new toolkit, the
problem is i cant find anything to suit my needs, i have tried a few
different toolkits, including TK, Fox and GTK. I have made a few
differnt programs, imcluding an alarm clock, and a file manipulation
program(moving, renaming, creating, files and folders, complete with
GUIs using Fox toolkit) just to give you an estimation of what i know.
If these can do what id like them to do, i cant find out how. i have
been looking for weeks and havent come any closer. this is the last step
before giving up on it....

i am running on windows 7, (i know probably not the best place to start
with custom gui programming), I run ruby 1.86, and i have looked into
Shoes, Bowline, Glitter, GTK + Glade, Clutter (i have the files, they
are in tarballs and dont know where to put all the files, and the lack
of documentation sucks.)

i hope that is enough for someone to help if not let me know what you
need to know. Thanks in Advance....

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser on
Brandon Mr wrote:
> first off, sorry if this in the wrong place, i just signed up here.
> if so, let me know where to put further posts.
>
> i am looking for a way to make a customized gui, like using differently
> shaped windows or graphics for the window borders, while allowing me to
> add buttons (using images)
[...]

Will Limelight (a bit like shoes, in JRuby) or Monkeybars (Swing
integration framework) be any help?

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

From: Brandon Mr on
Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
> Brandon Mr wrote:
>> first off, sorry if this in the wrong place, i just signed up here.
>> if so, let me know where to put further posts.
>>
>> i am looking for a way to make a customized gui, like using differently
>> shaped windows or graphics for the window borders, while allowing me to
>> add buttons (using images)
> [...]
>
> Will Limelight (a bit like shoes, in JRuby) or Monkeybars (Swing
> integration framework) be any help?
>
> Best,
> --
> Marnen Laibow-Koser
> http://www.marnen.org
> marnen(a)marnen.org

i did see limelight, and i dont know java. which some java is required
to use limelight effectively, unless i am mistaken?

monkeybars i dont know about i will check with that and see if i can get
some info on that, and get back here

From: Chuck Remes on

On Nov 14, 2009, at 10:24 AM, Brandon Mr wrote:

> Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
>> Brandon Mr wrote:
>>> first off, sorry if this in the wrong place, i just signed up here.
>>> if so, let me know where to put further posts.
>>>
>>> i am looking for a way to make a customized gui, like using
>>> differently
>>> shaped windows or graphics for the window borders, while allowing
>>> me to
>>> add buttons (using images)
>> [...]
>>
>> Will Limelight (a bit like shoes, in JRuby) or Monkeybars (Swing
>> integration framework) be any help?
>>
>> Best,
>> --
>> Marnen Laibow-Koser
>> http://www.marnen.org
>> marnen(a)marnen.org
>
> i did see limelight, and i dont know java. which some java is required
> to use limelight effectively, unless i am mistaken?
>
> monkeybars i dont know about i will check with that and see if i can
> get
> some info on that, and get back here

Limelight is pure ruby so you don't need to learn any java.

Monkeybars is a DSL for Java Swing, so while you don't need to write
any Java code it is very useful to know how to read it. To effectively
use Monkeybars requires some knowledge of the Java Swing API.

cr

From: Brandon B. on
Chuck Remes wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2009, at 10:24 AM, Brandon Mr wrote:
>
>>> [...]
> Limelight is pure ruby so you don't need to learn any java.

thanks for the heads up on limelight, i will have to give it a second
look and give some of the examples a try. why does it require jruby libs
if you dont need to use java in conjunction? it that just because it
builds off of java functionaily using ruby syntax?