From: Mr. X. on
Hello.
I want to set to any type the value, by sending its string only.
How can I do that ?

I.e
BorderStyle = "None"
(I have "None" value as a string)

Thanks :)
From: Armin Zingler on

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms171838(VS.90).aspx

--
Armin
From: Mr. X. on
I need to not create type editor for each type.
The specific type is unknown, and I need a generic solution for any type.

Thanks :)

From: Armin Zingler on
Am 21.06.2010 13:26, schrieb Armin Zingler:
> Am 21.06.2010 13:02, schrieb Mr. X.:
>> Hello.
>> I want to set to any type the value, by sending its string only.
>> How can I do that ?
>>
>> I.e
>> BorderStyle = "None"
>> (I have "None" value as a string)
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms171838(VS.90).aspx

I guess you will ask...

To create a TypeConverter:
1. Get the type of the property (PropertyInfo.PropertyType)
2. Check the attributes of the type retrived in step 1.
3. If there is a System.ComponentModel.TypeConverterAttribute, get it's 'ConverterTypeName'
property.
4. Pass the name from step 3 to System.Type.GetType
5. Create an instance of the type from step 4 by passing it to Activator.CreateInstance
6. Cast the object from step 5 to System.ComponentModel.TypeConverter. (Before, I'd check
if it's really of that type. Just for safety, because I think the constructor of
TypeConverterAttribute doesn't check the passed type.)
7. Read the documentation about the TypeConverter. :-) The ConvertFromString/ConvertToString
methods seem to do the main job.

I've never done all that. But that's how I'd do it.

--
Armin
From: Armin Zingler on
Am 21.06.2010 14:52, schrieb Mr. X.:
> I need to not create type editor for each type.
> The specific type is unknown, and I need a generic solution for any type.

Man, I'm really patient. Very patient. Usually. But you guy seem
to be not willing first to learn the things you need for your task.
I don't believe you have already studied the topics in the link I
gave you.

The first line in the first sub topic says:

"You can edit your property in place as a string. This requires a
TypeConverter for your custom type. For more information, see
How to: Implement a Type Converter."

Isn't it what you are looking for?

You ask for a general solution. There is not solution that is more
general than described in the documentation. The TypeConverterAttribute
is the most general solution I know of. I'm not talking about UI type
editors here.

--
Armin