From: Arno on
yawnmoth <terra1024(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 10, 7:04?am, Arno <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>> yawnmoth <terra1...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > Any idea as to what RAID controllers might provide that
>> > functionality? ?
>>
>> I don't know. Linux Software RAID does it and any good controller
>> should do it, but then the question is what constitutes a good
>> controller.
>>
>> > <http://www.rosewill.com/products/942/
>> > productDetail.htm> looked like a good RAID controller
>>
>> That is Fake Raid, i.e. not a RAID controller at all. I have
>> one with the same chip, this is a plain 2 port SATA controller.
>> What happens here is that this thing has software RAID in the
>> BIOS, which turns out to be the wortst possible way to do RAID.
>>
>> Example of a real hardware controller:http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata2-9650.asp
>> A bit more expensive though.

> Also, is there a way to easily tell if an arbitrary card uses BIOS
> software RAID or has "real" RAID controllers? And what advantage does
> real RAID have over software RAID, be it Linux or BIOS? I assume less
> CPU usage overhead?

It used to be a speed question. It is not anymore.

Basically, hardware RAID has the following advantages:
- automated hotplug and rebuild, enclosure support
- low/no OS dependency

for Linux Software RAID you get
- can work on partitions
- very easy to monitor and administrate

Speed-wise they are pretty much the same if the software RAID
goes over a PCI-E attached controller.

As to recognition, if it is > 300EUR/USD, it is hardware RAID ;-)

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----