From: Dolphin on
Hi,

How to restrict a user to "cd" to certain directories after user sftp
into the system in Solaris 10? Correct me if I'm wrong that chroot is
able to perform this but it requires openssh to be installed. If I
will to install the openssh, what will happen to the ssh that comes
with Solaris 10? Any other way besides chroot?

Thanks in advance.
From: Doug McIntyre on
Dolphin <yc282004(a)yahoo.com.sg> writes:
>How to restrict a user to "cd" to certain directories after user sftp
>into the system in Solaris 10? Correct me if I'm wrong that chroot is
>able to perform this but it requires openssh to be installed. If I
>will to install the openssh, what will happen to the ssh that comes
>with Solaris 10? Any other way besides chroot?

How about setting up a zone instead?

A little bit more involved than chroot, but it would be quite
effective in limiting them to just the filesystems areas you want them
to be limited to. Would be fully supported by Sun with just the stock
software installed. You'd need additional IP addresses though for this
option.

Otherwise, you could install the newer version of openssh than what
sun ships into any location and run it, either by shutting down the
sun stock sshd and running up your version, or even running both
concurrently on a different port for your users to utilize.

From: anonymous on
Dolphin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How to restrict a user to "cd" to certain directories after user sftp
> into the system in Solaris 10? Correct me if I'm wrong that chroot is
> able to perform this but it requires openssh to be installed. If I
> will to install the openssh, what will happen to the ssh that comes
> with Solaris 10? Any other way besides chroot?
>
> Thanks in advance.

see an example setup at :

http://www.minstrel.org.uk/papers/sftp/builtin/

I still use the solaris 10 ssh to login to the physical server for maintenance,
and the above openssh setup to another virtual ip-adress that migrates
between several servers for high-availabilty.

From: Hugo on

On 10-Jun-2010, Doug McIntyre <merlyn(a)geeks.org> wrote:

> >How to restrict a user to "cd" to certain directories after user sftp
> >into the system in Solaris 10? Correct me if I'm wrong that chroot is
> >able to perform this but it requires openssh to be installed. If I
> >will to install the openssh, what will happen to the ssh that comes
> >with Solaris 10? Any other way besides chroot?
>
> How about setting up a zone instead?

Or, create the 'home' directory as empty and use symbolic links to access
those area's/files they should be able to get to (might be more work than is
worth it if this is a complicated setup).

Regards
From: Dolphin on
On Jun 10, 9:25 pm, Doug McIntyre <mer...(a)geeks.org> wrote:
> Dolphin <yc282...(a)yahoo.com.sg> writes:
> >How to restrict a user to "cd" to certain directories after user sftp
> >into the system in Solaris 10? Correct me if I'm wrong that chroot is
> >able to perform this but it requires openssh to be installed. If I
> >will to install the openssh, what will happen to the ssh that comes
> >with Solaris 10? Any other way besides chroot?
>
> How about setting up a zone instead?
>
> A little bit more involved than chroot, but it would be quite
> effective in limiting them to just the filesystems areas you want them
> to be limited to. Would be fully supported by Sun with just the stock
> software installed. You'd need additional IP addresses though for this
> option.

Could you advice how to go about it as I understood that setting up a
zone will not be able to access directories that are now in the global
zone.