From: Stuart on
Hi there guys

I am working on Project 2007 and Office 2007

I am wanting to know how I can retrieve the tasks' notes on a daily basis,
either as a report or if it can be sent to outlook's calender (as a task or
within the calander)
I can set reminders easy enough that bring in the task to outlook but it
does not include the notes which is pertinent for me

Maybe I am doing it the wrong way round but as an eg. I have a task, but
within that task there is a level of detail that needs to go along with it
for that day.
For eg-On Day 1 there is a driver that needs to pick up x person, drop them
off at place B at a certain time and so forth

Perhaps I need to add it into a new field or text box or something but if
anyone has some insight into this I would really greatly appreciate it

Thanks for all the assistance in advance

From: Rob Schneider on
Stuart,

I guess what I would do, if you really want these details in your
project plan, is to first see if you can put them into Notes for each
task.

Frankly, if you are trying to use Project to keep track of drivers who
have to keep appointments. Are these tasks really part of of a project
plan? I fear that this will not work will in Project and you'll be
forever fighting it. Why not simply use Outlook, Word, or a white board
for this sort of appointment type detail.

You can get a daily task list by by printing the Gant Chart view or even
one of the reports, and filtering the records for the day of interest.

As discussed on many other postings, using Project and Outlook together
doesn't work as it's not really designed in but apparently there are
some third party tools. My hunch, based only on what you write here,
that you may not be best served with Project.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

From: John on
In article <AA9CFB71-9596-4330-93EA-BDDECC3C0CA2(a)microsoft.com>,
Stuart <Stuart(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi there guys
>
> I am working on Project 2007 and Office 2007
>
> I am wanting to know how I can retrieve the tasks' notes on a daily basis,
> either as a report or if it can be sent to outlook's calender (as a task or
> within the calander)
> I can set reminders easy enough that bring in the task to outlook but it
> does not include the notes which is pertinent for me
>
> Maybe I am doing it the wrong way round but as an eg. I have a task, but
> within that task there is a level of detail that needs to go along with it
> for that day.
> For eg-On Day 1 there is a driver that needs to pick up x person, drop them
> off at place B at a certain time and so forth
>
> Perhaps I need to add it into a new field or text box or something but if
> anyone has some insight into this I would really greatly appreciate it
>
> Thanks for all the assistance in advance

Stuart,
I tend to agree with Rob. It looks like you are putting to much detail
into your project plan. Nonetheless, there are a few ways to get
Project's Notes field printed out or exported to another application.

First of all copy and paste only works if there are fewer than 256
characters in the text string and/or there are no line feeds. To capture
the full Notes field text data you will need to use VBA or an SQL query
directly on Project's database. It so happens I have a freeware version
of a VBA macro that exports Project's Notes field data to Excel. If you
are interested, contact me at the address below.

However, there is another easy way to get Project's Notes if you just
need a printout. Go to File/Page Setup/View tab. Check the option to
"Print Notes". That will give you a separate page of all the task notes
text.

Hope this helps.

John
Project MVP
jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm
(remove obvious redundancies)
From: Stuart on
Hey guys
Thanks so much for replying to this request, I appreciate it a lot

John I have written a mail to you about your VBA Macro

Rob, I understand what you are saying-thanks so much for your insight

Cheers for now
Stu