From: farul mohd ghazali on
I have a small Sun box running Solaris 8 which I upgraded to Solaris
10 11/06 using Live Upgrade about 2 weeks ago. Everything works fine
except showrev/smpatch which now gives the following error:

# showrev -p
showrev: get_env_var(SUNWpsjdk, SUNW_PATCHID)

The system is not under support. I'm trying to get smpatch to work and
it too breaks because showrev doesn't work. Just plain showrev or
showrev -a works ok.

Any clues on what might have gone wrong? I could revert back to
Solaris 8 if necessary but I'd prefer to fix this problem. TIA.

From: Chris Ridd on
On 2007-03-05 10:02:39 +0000, "farul mohd ghazali" <farulg(a)gmail.com> said:

> I have a small Sun box running Solaris 8 which I upgraded to Solaris
> 10 11/06 using Live Upgrade about 2 weeks ago. Everything works fine
> except showrev/smpatch which now gives the following error:
>
> # showrev -p
> showrev: get_env_var(SUNWpsjdk, SUNW_PATCHID)
>
> The system is not under support. I'm trying to get smpatch to work and
> it too breaks because showrev doesn't work. Just plain showrev or
> showrev -a works ok.

This is a known problem, as yet unfixed (AFAIK).

There's a workaround for this problem in the current release of Martin
Paul's PCA tool. Incidentally PCA beats the pants off using smpatch.

Cheers,

Chris

From: Martin Paul on
farul mohd ghazali <farulg(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a small Sun box running Solaris 8 which I upgraded to Solaris
> 10 11/06 using Live Upgrade about 2 weeks ago. Everything works fine
> except showrev/smpatch which now gives the following error:
>
> # showrev -p
> showrev: get_env_var(SUNWpsjdk, SUNW_PATCHID)

There is a known problem with "showrev -p" dumping core on Solaris 10 11/06,
which is fixed by patches 124630-03/124631-03, but your problem might have
another cause.

Can you post the output of "ls -l /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWpsjdk" and
"pkginfo SUNWpsjdk" ?

FWIW, I second Chris' suggestion to ditch smpatch in favor of pca :)

mp.
--
Systems Administrator | Institute of Scientific Computing | Univ. of Vienna
| http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/
Patch Check Advanced | Analyze, download and install patches for Sun Solaris
From: farul mohd ghazali on
On Mar 5, 6:37 pm, Martin Paul <m...(a)par.univie.ac.at> wrote:
> farul mohd ghazali <far...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a small Sun box running Solaris 8 which I upgraded to Solaris
> > 10 11/06 using Live Upgrade about 2 weeks ago. Everything works fine
> > except showrev/smpatch which now gives the following error:
>
> > # showrev -p
> > showrev: get_env_var(SUNWpsjdk, SUNW_PATCHID)
>
> There is a known problem with "showrev -p" dumping core on Solaris 10 11/06,
> which is fixed by patches 124630-03/124631-03, but your problem might have
> another cause.
>
> Can you post the output of "ls -l /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWpsjdk" and
> "pkginfo SUNWpsjdk" ?

Ah ok that explains things. I should've checked Sunsolve after
googling didn't turn up anything.

Here's the output. It seems installed. I guess maybe SUNWpsjdk is the
first on the patch list that's why the error message has SUNWpsjdk?

# ls -la /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWpsjdk
total 62
drwxr-xr-x 3 root other 512 May 13 2004 .
dr-xr-xr-x 1241 root sys 28672 Mar 5 06:43 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root other 512 Jul 24 2003 install
-rw------- 1 root other 676 Jul 24 2003 pkginfo
# pkginfo SUNWpsjdk
service SUNWpsjdk Portal Server JDK

From: Martin Paul on
farul mohd ghazali <farulg(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> > # showrev -p
>> > showrev: get_env_var(SUNWpsjdk, SUNW_PATCHID)
>
> # ls -la /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWpsjdk
> total 62
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root other 512 May 13 2004 .
> dr-xr-xr-x 1241 root sys 28672 Mar 5 06:43 ..
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root other 512 Jul 24 2003 install
> -rw------- 1 root other 676 Jul 24 2003 pkginfo
> # pkginfo SUNWpsjdk
> service SUNWpsjdk Portal Server JDK

Strange. Usually this error only happens when something which is
not a package directory is located in /var/sadm/pkg (like a core
file, or an empty directory). But /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWpsjdk looks fine.

Take a look at the complete output of "ls -la /var/sadm/pkg" and
see if you can spot anything that doesn't belong there. Or run
"truss showrev -p" and show us the last ~30 lines.

mp.
--
Systems Administrator | Institute of Scientific Computing | Univ. of Vienna
| http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/
Patch Check Advanced | Analyze, download and install patches for Sun Solaris

Pages: 1
Prev: High sys Usage
Next: Setting ip_multidata_outbound