From: siaqodb on
You can try siaqodb ( http://siaqodb.com ). It has LINQ default and only query engine, it is very fast and is also working on Silverlight platform

Pavel Minaev wrote:

Re: ODB's and C#
28-Aug-08

On Aug 25, 11:06=A0pm, Logician <sa...(a)logicians.com> wrote:

LINQ is absolutely orthogonal to the whole relational / object
dichotomy - if anything, the fact that you can do LINQ queries against
in-memory collections of plain .NET objects should be proof enough.
db4o supports LINQ queries, by the way; see
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/LINQ_for_db4o.aspx for an
example.

If you rather mean ADO.NET Entity Framework (aka LINQ to Entities),
then it is, indeed, just another ORM, and not particularly powerful
one at that.

On Monday, August 25, 2008 12:17 PM
Peter Morris wrote:

www.db4o.
www.db4o.com - I ruled it out due to the runtime license costs and went for
an object->rdbms mapper (and more) at www.capableobjects.com instead.

Pete

On Monday, August 25, 2008 2:17 PM
Alun Harford wrote:

Re: ODB's and C#
Logician wrote:

You would need a OODBMS for that. db4o is apparently good (I've not used
it though).

Otherwise, you're going to hit the object relational impedance mismatch.

An ORM (such as NHibernate) is the other option...

Alun Harford

On Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:28 AM
Logician wrote:

ODB's and C#
Are there any ODBMS's that work well with C#?

eg storing Uri as a database type (CustUri Type(Uri)) and then queries
such as select CustUri.AbsolutePath should be used).

I would find this useful. I know Oracle software has some object
functions, but it would be nice if something exists to handle C#
objects naturally.

On Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:29 AM
Logician wrote:

Re: ODB's and C#
I will try this.

On Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:29 AM
Logician wrote:

Re: ODB's and C#
On Aug 25, 7:17 pm, Alun Harford <devn...(a)alunharford.co.uk> wrote:

I am thinking of using Java for the OO work since there is a lot of
support for Java OO and OODBMS, eg with ORACLE. It is just a let down
that the IDE's for Java are so bad. I think the online interaction for
C# is good and also the IDE which are all pros for c#.

I really want a fully OO type of database so that I store a type of
data by meaning, eg a type Price which has attributes bargain, low,
high, budget etc. This will lead into semantics which I want as one
aspect but also easier processing of complex objects. Relational
models are really old now, and I think the web of data (Web 3) will
really strain relational models. I know LINQ is touted by MSFT as the
next best thing, but I am not convinced so far.

On Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:29 AM
Pavel Minaev wrote:

Re: ODB's and C#
On Aug 25, 11:06=A0pm, Logician <sa...(a)logicians.com> wrote:

LINQ is absolutely orthogonal to the whole relational / object
dichotomy - if anything, the fact that you can do LINQ queries against
in-memory collections of plain .NET objects should be proof enough.
db4o supports LINQ queries, by the way; see
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/LINQ_for_db4o.aspx for an
example.

If you rather mean ADO.NET Entity Framework (aka LINQ to Entities),
then it is, indeed, just another ORM, and not particularly powerful
one at that.

On Saturday, September 06, 2008 9:02 AM
Pavel Minaev wrote:

Re: ODB's and C#
"Logician" <sales(a)logicians.com> wrote in message

It's all well and good, but db4o is positioned as a solution for embedded
and other low-footprint projects. What are its scalability properties? What
about concurrent access - how many active connections to the database can it
sustain? What happens if I start hitting it with 100 queries/second? 1000?

To my knowledge, there are still no fully OODBMS solutions that match the
raw performance and scalability of RDBMS solutions. The reason is simple -
relational model is very well understood, and existing products have built
upon the old, mature, proven solutions (if you ask the vendors, you'll find
out that the core of their query analyzers is often still based around the
code of a few original RDBMS pioneers of 1970s).

On Sunday, September 07, 2008 11:45 AM
Logician wrote:

Re: ODB's and C#
On Aug 26, 3:17=A0pm, Pavel Minaev <int...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
database/LINQ_for_db4o.aspxfor an

I am using db4o (or trying to) and it apparently stores whole objects
without any further defintion, eg

IObjectContainer db =3D Db4oFactory.OpenFile( ...)

db.Store(myObject)

Which is what I want.

I am still wondering why 90% of all dbms access is relational, when
that technology is very old (at least 30 years old). Is this just the
commercial influence of Oracle, Microsoft and others who have
financial interests in keeping systems working in rdbms technologies?

On Sunday, September 07, 2008 11:45 AM
Logician wrote:

Re: ODB's and C#
I do not know. I am still trying to get it work with one query.

You make a good point.

However with RDF about to be mainstream, we need Object databases.

More Fun with Fluent NHibernate Automapping
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/50aa9259-6dbb-4d16-9639-81ee42171b00/more-fun-with-fluent-nhib.aspx