From: bn on
Hello

I have a slackware 13.1 installed. All partitions are EXT4. It works
on the default kernel, but i compiled my own kernel. System not boot,
there is message:
http://przemek.org/boot.jpg

There is kernel configuration:
http://przemek.org/kernel/darkstar-linux-kernel-config

This configuration works perfectly on slackware 13.0.

Sorry for my poor english.
From: mjt on
On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 01:45:39 -0700 (PDT)
bn <bniedzwiecka(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a slackware 13.1 installed. All partitions are EXT4. It works
> on the default kernel, but i compiled my own kernel. System not boot,
> there is message:
> http://przemek.org/boot.jpg
>
> There is kernel configuration:
> http://przemek.org/kernel/darkstar-linux-kernel-config

I'd enable the features that arent.

#
# File systems
#
# CONFIG_EXT2_FS is not set
# CONFIG_EXT3_FS is not set
CONFIG_EXT4_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT4_USE_FOR_EXT23=y
# CONFIG_EXT4_FS_XATTR is not set
# CONFIG_EXT4_DEBUG is not set

--
As I was passing Project MAC,
I met a Quux with seven hacks.

From: Douglas Mayne on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 01:45:39 -0700, bn wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a slackware 13.1 installed. All partitions are EXT4. It works on
> the default kernel, but i compiled my own kernel. System not boot, there
> is message:
> http://przemek.org/boot.jpg
>
> There is kernel configuration:
> http://przemek.org/kernel/darkstar-linux-kernel-config
>
> This configuration works perfectly on slackware 13.0.
>
> Sorry for my poor english.

Caveat: I am not running kernel 2.6.35. However,I am running Slackware
13.1 with kernel 2.6.33.7. The following is "wild guess" because I am not
doing things exactly as you are. I am following the standard Slackware
advice to build an appropriate initrd and using that to boot my system.
It appears you are trying to avoid that step by building a kernel with
all code that is necessary boot builtin. IMO, it is really better to
invest some time learning to build the initrd using a modular kernel. It
takes some more time at first, but the result is much more predictable.
YMMV.

I took a look at your kernel config, and you included ext4 as a built in
kernel module:
CONFIG_EXT4_FS=y

You also set :
CONFIG_JBD2=y

On my system, I built ext4 as a kernel module. The other module
dependancies are for mbcache.ko and jbd2.ko. It appears you may have
missed setting the kernel option which is responsible for building
mbcache. I looked, but I don't see what controls whether the mbcache code
is enabled when the kernel is built. It looks likely that your selection
for no caching may have introduced the breakage:

# CONFIG_FSCACHE is not set

p.s. I always only "tweak" the official Slackware kernel. That is, I
don't attempt big changes. That is because I am not a kernel expert and
major changes are likely to have unwanted side-effects and breakage.

Also, I am not running kernel 2.6.35.x, and different kernels can have
different module dependancies.

--
Douglas Mayne
From: Dan C on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 01:45:39 -0700, bn wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a slackware 13.1 installed. All partitions are EXT4. It works on
> the default kernel, but i compiled my own kernel. System not boot, there
> is message:
> http://przemek.org/boot.jpg
>
> There is kernel configuration:
> http://przemek.org/kernel/darkstar-linux-kernel-config
>
> This configuration works perfectly on slackware 13.0.
>
> Sorry for my poor english.

It has to do with having CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED enabled in your kernel
config. Change the config as in the following link, and it will work.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/missing-dev-sda-etc-when-booting-custom-kernels-793583/

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.