From: nsa.usa on
Hi,

Anybody know which is the smallest computer virus out there? I've
googled and yahood but nothing. so far it seems maybe trivialow.13 is
the smallest (at 13 bytes) but can't find any info about it. I seem to
remember a few years ago the smallest was around 35 bytes but don't
remember the name. Anybody have any info on this?
Thanks!

Cheers
Tobias

From: Virus Guy on
nsa.usa(a)gmail.com wrote:

> Anybody know which is the smallest computer virus out there?

I'm not sure if you're looking strictly at viruses, but the smallest
worm was Slammer (376 bytes).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,108996-page,1/article.html

Also, you might also be thinking of exploit code, which could be even
smaller - but would contain no payload.
From: 4Q on
nsa....(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody know which is the smallest computer virus out there? I've
> googled and yahood but nothing. so far it seems maybe trivialow.13 is
> the smallest (at 13 bytes) but can't find any info about it.

*hmmm* I wrote a virus around 13 bytes
in size many many years ago. The code
and notes were published on Virus Heavens
http://vx.netlux.org. I didn't call it
anything (no room in the code for a
BIG name tag!) maybe that was the one
named trivialow.13 by the Avers ;]]

The target offset address was derived
from a random value provided by one of
DOS internal data structures to the
input parameters of an Int 13h BIOS
call. So if by chance the target address
allowed the bug to overwrite the start
of a valid DOS .COM executable it would
have a chance to replicate again. However
given the trivial nature of its design
the chances of getting in the wild are
next to zero *grin*

email the owner of Virus Heavens and ask
him to dig it out. Also you will find
some interesting ideas of small
self-replicating bytes in G9N #1 zine.

> I seem to
> remember a few years ago the smallest was around 35 bytes but don't
> remember the name. Anybody have any info on this?

I don't remember the name of this bug
but it does feature in one of the back
issues of a VX zine.

> Thanks!
>
> Cheers
> Tobias

4Q

From: kurt wismer on
nsa.usa(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody know which is the smallest computer virus out there? I've
> googled and yahood but nothing. so far it seems maybe trivialow.13 is
> the smallest (at 13 bytes) but can't find any info about it. I seem to
> remember a few years ago the smallest was around 35 bytes but don't
> remember the name. Anybody have any info on this?
> Thanks!

my recollection was that the smallest was a variant of trivial that was
22 bytes and overwrite all files with a copy of itself... i don't recall
hearing about one that was only 13 bytes...

--
"it's not the right time to be sober
now the idiots have taken over
From: Nomen Nescio on

<nsa.usa(a)gmail.com> escribio en mensaje

> Anybody know which is the smallest computer virus out there? I've
> googled and yahood but nothing. so far it seems maybe trivialow.13 is
> the smallest (at 13 bytes) but can't find any info about it. I seem to
> remember a few years ago the smallest was around 35 bytes but don't
> remember the name. Anybody have any info on this?

The smallest virus of all history was PLuRG! by Rodzilla/Dark Avenger.
It is so small it is completely undetected by any AV for all those years.