From: Jeff on
I have an old smcwbr14-G router that I want to install on an XP PC and then
use it as an additional wired access point but I can no longer find its
installation CD. I went to their website to see if I could download it but
all I could find to download is the manual.

Is it possible to install a router without its setup CD?

I reset it pressing on the reset button.
When I connect it (Ethernet cable) with my PC and go to http://192.168.2.1/
(from the manual I downloaded) all I get is that the browser cannot connect.

Anything else I can do?

Thanks

Jeff

From: Jeff on
I'm in. I had connected my cable from the PC to the wan port. When I
connected the PC to a lan port, I go to the setup menu.

Any advice about using this router as a wired access point?

In the setup, for instance it asks about my connection type: I selected
cable modem.
It then asked for my hostname and I am not sure what to enter there. I get
my internet through Cox cable via their modem. This access point will be
connected by cable to my present Trendnet router.

Thanks.

Jeff

From: Jack (MVP-Networking). on
Hi
You do not need any CD. Connect a computer via network cable to one of the
LAN ports (Not the Internet side).
Use your browser to log to the Router's menu (using its default IP and
password as describe in the manual) and configure the Router to work as an
Access Point.
The principle is described here.
Wireless Router as an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

From: Jeff on
Thank you Jack, I discovered my cabling error. However I am now in deep
trouble and I really need your help. (You do not live in northern Virginia
by chance, do you?)

As a "trial run" to avoid damaging anything, I used my laptop "A" which was
connected wirelessly as usual to my home wireless network.

I connected the SMC router (that I want to use later as an access point)
using a cable from one of its LAN ports to my laptop's ethernet port and got
to the login screen, logged in etc. I entered what I believed should be the
correct settings in that SMC router that I want to later use as a wired
access point. One time in the setup screens I accidentally used the same
SSID which may be what caused the problem though I later changed it to
something else. This was all in the SMC setup screen.

I then disconnected from this SMC router to do some other "real" work and
discovered to my horror the following:

This laptop "A" now can no longer connects to the internet via the LAN! The
network SSID shows up as usual when I view available networks and connects
as usual but no internet and whenever I try to access the internet (browser
etc) a popup appears trying to connect via an ancient dialup conection I
have not used for years. Also, the wireless connection is dropped constantly
and becomes disconnected even though I am not far from the router.

My other laptop (not used as part of this experiment) still connects fine to
the internet via the wlan. So I messed something up on this laptop and do
no know how to fix it.

Finding an old ethernet cable I can connect this troubled Laptop "A" by
cable directly to the router and then I can access the internet with it -
which is how I am sending this message.

I am on XP SP3 and therefore did a restore to see if that might correct
things, but nothing changed.

A windows "repair" of the wireless connection did not help matters. Neither
did a reboot.

So I need help desperately!!

Jeff

From: Jeff on
May have just got a hint of the trouble. I got as windows error message
that said "There is an IP conflict with another system on the network".

Maybe a entered something wrong in the SMC router that is now conflicting.
Thaqt SMC router is not connected or powered. How do I resolve this
problem? Where in Windows do I change things?

Jeff

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> You do not need any CD. Connect a computer via network cable to one
> of the LAN ports (Not the Internet side).
> Use your browser to log to the Router's menu (using its default IP and
> password as describe in the manual) and configure the Router to work
> as an Access Point.
> The principle is described here.
> Wireless Router as an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Jeff(a)unknown.com" <JeffMalka(a)orthohelp.com> wrote in message
>> I have an old smcwbr14-G router that I want to install on an XP PC
>> and then use it as an additional wired access point but I can no
>> longer find its installation CD. I went to their website to see if
>> I could download it but
>> all I could find to download is the manual.
>>
>> Is it possible to install a router without its setup CD?
>>
>> I reset it pressing on the reset button.
>> When I connect it (Ethernet cable) with my PC and go to
>> http://192.168.2.1/
>> (from the manual I downloaded) all I get is that the browser cannot
>> connect.
>>
>> Anything else I can do?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jeff