From: Wietse Venema on
Magnus B�ck:
> On Mon, February 22, 2010 9:50 am, Jon Tullett said:
>
> [...]
>
> > My smtpd_banner is set to "$mylocalhost ESMTP". The localhost is the
> > full localname+domain. I took "(Postfix)" out of the banner because
> > I'm paranoid and don't like advertising what specific software is
> > offering a service - is that omission now causing a problem?
>
> That omission doesn't contribute to your problem, but it's fairly useless
> since MTAs can typically be identiifed anyway based on behaviour and
> messages etc. Postfix example:
>
> $ telnet localhost 25
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 elwood.jpl.local ESMTP Postfix
> POST foo
> 221 2.7.0 Error: I can break rules, too. Goodbye.
> Connection closed by foreign host.

Indeed...

Wietse

% telnet mailin-02.mx.aol.com. smtp
Trying 64.12.90.65...
Connected to mailin-02.mx.aol.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-mtain-ma06.r1000.mx.aol.com ESMTP Internet Inbound
220-AOL and its affiliated companies do not
220-authorize the use of its proprietary computers and computer
220-networks to accept, transmit, or distribute unsolicited bulk
220-e-mail sent from the internet.
220-Effective immediately:
220-AOL may no longer accept connections from IP addresses
220 which no do not have reverse-DNS (PTR records) assigned.

From: Jon Tullett on
On 22 February 2010 12:11, Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt(a)charite.de> wrote:
> * Jon Tullett <jon.tullett(a)gmail.com>:
>
>> > That's something different.
>> > postconf smtp_helo_name
>> > postconf myhostname
>> > returns what?
>>
>> Both return the same - the hostname+domain and nothing else: mail.foo.com
>> That is the default value for smtp_helo_name, the docs tell me.
>
> It would help not to munge the data, since that's what the other
> server doesn't like

No, you're right. But it seems happy enough now with just name+domain.
The main reason I asked was to clear up my confusion about the use of
smtpd_banner - thank you for pointing me straight re smtp_helo_name!

-J

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Banned spoofed address from my domain
Next: 2.7 RPM