From: Stan Hoeppner on
vtzan put forth on 12/14/2009 1:17 AM:
> Hello noel,
>
> thanks for you response but it didn't worked!

First, did you reload postfix after editing main.cf? If not, the change
won't take effect until you reload of restart postfix. And, how do you
know it didn't work? Is he still sending spam? If so use iptables
_NOW_ to put a stop to it!

I cannot understand for the life of me why you're dicking around with
this instead of dropping the hammer instantly on this situation...

From the book of Sysadmin
Rule #1: Use whatever _functional_ tool you have available _right now_
to stop network abuse. Learn to use other tools/methods for the same
job _when you are not in crisis mode_.

There is a bear knocking down your front door intent on eating you. Are
you going to grab fork, then knife, then rolling pen, and realize none
of them work, before grabbing the gun and shooting the bear? Taking
this route makes you bear food...

--
Stan

From: vtzan on
Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> vtzan put forth on 12/14/2009 1:17 AM:
>
>> Hello noel,
>>
>> thanks for you response but it didn't worked!
>>

> First, did you reload postfix after editing main.cf? If not, the change
> won't take effect until you reload of restart postfix. And, how do you
> know it didn't work? Is he still sending spam? If so use iptables
> _NOW_ to put a stop to it!

yes i reload and i just put my ip and tested! ;-)
> I cannot understand for the life of me why you're dicking around with
> this instead of dropping the hammer instantly on this situation...
>
> >From the book of Sysadmin
> Rule #1: Use whatever _functional_ tool you have available _right now_
> to stop network abuse. Learn to use other tools/methods for the same
> job _when you are not in crisis mode_.
>
> There is a bear knocking down your front door intent on eating you. Are
> you going to grab fork, then knife, then rolling pen, and realize none
> of them work, before grabbing the gun and shooting the bear? Taking
> this route makes you bear food...
>
> --
> Stan

thanks alot for you reply Stan.
No the problem has stopped but just trying to figure out a quick way
from postfix to prevent abusing my server is this is happened again.
I know how to use IP tables but want to know a postfix way.
thanks

Bill

From: Noel Jones on
On 12/14/2009 1:17 AM, vtzan wrote:
> Hello noel,
>
> thanks for you response but it didn't worked!

Please don't top post.

If a suggestion didn't do what you expect, you'll need to show
evidence including "postconf -n" output and logging
demonstrating the unwanted behavior, and what you expected to
happen.

-- Noel Jones