From: Jerrale Gayle on
smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient = no

Would this be better put by itself or under smtpd_recipient_restrictions
= reject_unlisted_recipient=no?

I want to accept all mail to non-existent users, then bounce, so that
people can't probe for valid users to know wherer to start a brute force.

From: Sahil Tandon on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, Jerrale Gayle wrote:

> smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient = no

Bad idea.

> Would this be better put by itself or under
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_unlisted_recipient=no?

Bad idea + unsupported syntax.

> I want to accept all mail to non-existent users, then bounce, so
> that people can't probe for valid users to know wherer to start a
> brute force.

This is a horrible idea; please do not do this. Google 'backscatter'.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil(a)FreeBSD.org>

From: Rod Dorman on
On Thursday, June 10, 2010, 17:51:13, Jerrale Gayle wrote:
> smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient = no
>
> Would this be better put by itself or under smtpd_recipient_restrictions
> = reject_unlisted_recipient=no?
>
> I want to accept all mail to non-existent users, then bounce, so that
> people can't probe for valid users to know wherer to start a brute force.

So when a spammer uses my e-mail address you'll send the bounce to me?

Gee, thanks.

--
rodd(a)polylogics.com "The avalanche has already started, it is too
Rod Dorman late for the pebbles to vote." - Ambassador Kosh

From: Jerrale Gayle on
On 6/10/2010 6:31 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, Jerrale Gayle wrote:
>

>> smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient = no
>>
> Bad idea.
>

>> Would this be better put by itself or under
>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_unlisted_recipient=no?
>>
> Bad idea + unsupported syntax.
>

>> I want to accept all mail to non-existent users, then bounce, so
>> that people can't probe for valid users to know wherer to start a
>> brute force.
>>
> This is a horrible idea; please do not do this. Google 'backscatter'.

IF I have repeating undeliverable mail being redirected to
postmaster(a)mydomain, I don't see why this would be a bad idea.

From: Sahil Tandon on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, Jerrale Gayle wrote:

> On 6/10/2010 6:31 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
> >On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, Jerrale Gayle wrote:
> >
> >>smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient = no
> >Bad idea.
> >
> >>Would this be better put by itself or under
> >>smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_unlisted_recipient=no?
> >Bad idea + unsupported syntax.
> >
> >>I want to accept all mail to non-existent users, then bounce, so
> >>that people can't probe for valid users to know wherer to start a
> >>brute force.
> >This is a horrible idea; please do not do this. Google 'backscatter'.
> >
> IF I have repeating undeliverable mail being redirected to
> postmaster(a)mydomain, I don't see why this would be a bad idea.

This is my last reply on this topic; from wikipedia:

Backscatter occurs because worms and spam messages often forge their
sender address, and mailservers configured by naive administrators send
a bounce message to this address.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil(a)FreeBSD.org>

 |  Next  |  Last