From: Jerrale Gayle on
On 6/10/2010 5:31 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> I heard that there are firewalls/security appliances that supposedly
> can distinguish "somebody using telnet" from "a machine speaking SMTP".
>
> I must admit, it sounds feasible (timing between keystrokes etc.), but
> little useful.
>
> Anyway. Is there such a thing? Does anybody use such a thing?

I use fail2ban which works for dovecot, postfix, ssh, telnet
(non-windows), and anything that logs failed logins to a log file.

From: Jeroen Geilman on
On 06/10/2010 11:31 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> I heard that there are firewalls/security appliances that supposedly
> can distinguish "somebody using telnet" from "a machine speaking SMTP".
>
> I must admit, it sounds feasible (timing between keystrokes etc.), but
> little useful.
>
> Anyway. Is there such a thing? Does anybody use such a thing?

There are IDSen (Intrusion Detection Systems) that can fingerprint the
client on the actual TCP delays between actions, yes.

They exist both in software (snort) and hardware (cisco et al).

However, then blocking the offender is step two - or combined into an
IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) - and that's usually configurable.

When in doubt, ask the network people at the site you suspect this of
(presuming they are willing to help you, of course).

Using an IDS or similar sniffer to fingerprint OSen and client software
of services is fun (if you're a network nerd :)), but it doesn't mean
people take any action on the data.

The risk of false positives is obvious, and I doubt many network-savvy
people would implement this sort of thing willy-nilly - especially since
telnet remains a very good SMTP debug tool!

J.

From: Reinaldo de Carvalho on
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt
<Ralf.Hildebrandt(a)charite.de> wrote:
> I heard that there are firewalls/security appliances that supposedly
> can distinguish "somebody using telnet" from "a machine speaking SMTP".
>
> I must admit, it sounds feasible (timing between keystrokes etc.), but
> little useful.

Why use telnet (e.g. raw tcp client) or block them if with few lines
if code in pyhton/perl/shell you can do anything.

--
Reinaldo de Carvalho
http://korreio.sf.net

"Don't try to adapt the software to the way you work, but rather
yourself to the way the software works" (myself)

From: Charles Seeger on
+------ Ralf Hildebrandt wrote (Thu, 10-Jun-2010, 23:31 +0200):

| I heard that there are firewalls/security appliances that supposedly
| can distinguish "somebody using telnet" from "a machine speaking SMTP".
|
| I must admit, it sounds feasible (timing between keystrokes etc.), but
| little useful.
|
| Anyway. Is there such a thing? Does anybody use such a thing?

ISTR someone doing (or speculating about) this with sendmail,
perhaps 20 years ago, based on detecting telnet option negotiation.
Never having used it, please forgive my fuzzy memory.

It would be easy to compile a line mode telnet client without option
negotiation that would defeat those two particular techniques, though
it likely would appear to be rather slow.

Best,
Chuck

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:31:49PM +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> I heard that there are firewalls/security appliances that supposedly
> can distinguish "somebody using telnet" from "a machine speaking SMTP".
>
> I must admit, it sounds feasible (timing between keystrokes etc.), but
> little useful.
>
> Anyway. Is there such a thing? Does anybody use such a thing?

Why do you want to discriminate against "telnet 25"? Administrators of
sites that want to trouble-shoot connectivity issues with your server
will use "telnet 25" from time to time. There is no need to block
this, it is by far the least likely source of any significant spam
volume...

--
Viktor.