From: Michael J Wise on
On Jun 10, 2010, at 9:19 PM, Victor Duchovni wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:31:49PM +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
>
>> I heard that there are firewalls/security appliances that supposedly
>> can distinguish "somebody using telnet" from "a machine speaking SMTP".
>>
>> I must admit, it sounds feasible (timing between keystrokes etc.), but
>> little useful.
>>
>> Anyway. Is there such a thing? Does anybody use such a thing?
>
> Why do you want to discriminate against "telnet 25"? Administrators of
> sites that want to trouble-shoot connectivity issues with your server
> will use "telnet 25" from time to time. There is no need to block
> this, it is by far the least likely source of any significant spam
> volume...

Certainly agree.

If someone IS doing it ... they have a really good reason.
And you would do WELL to make it reasonably easy for them.

I had to do it the other day to figure out what was going wrong with a certain hard to debug subsystem.

Aloha,
Michael.
--
"Please have your Internet License http://kapu.net/~mjwise/
and Usenet Registration handy..."

From: Ralf Hildebrandt on
* Victor Duchovni <Victor.Duchovni(a)morganstanley.com>:

> > Anyway. Is there such a thing? Does anybody use such a thing?
>
> Why do you want to discriminate against "telnet 25"?

What do i know? I don't do this nonsense :) 'm just asking

> Administrators of sites that want to trouble-shoot connectivity issues
> with your server will use "telnet 25" from time to time. There is no
> need to block this, it is by far the least likely source of any
> significant spam volume...

Indeed. There are faster methods.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin

From: "N. Yaakov Ziskind" on
Ralf Hildebrandt wrote (on Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 09:57:42AM +0200):
> > Administrators of sites that want to trouble-shoot connectivity issues
> > with your server will use "telnet 25" from time to time. There is no
> > need to block this, it is by far the least likely source of any
> > significant spam volume...
>
> Indeed. There are faster methods.

Kinda reminds me of the Donald Westlake story, which described a
fine-arts painter who took to counterfeiting $20s; the Secret Service
let him go with a slap on the wrist, they said, when they figured out
it him hours to produce each note. :-)

Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs(a)ziskind.us
Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

From: Ralf Hildebrandt on
* N. Yaakov Ziskind <awacs(a)ziskind.us>:

> Kinda reminds me of the Donald Westlake story, which described a
> fine-arts painter who took to counterfeiting $20s; the Secret Service
> let him go with a slap on the wrist, they said, when they figured out
> it him hours to produce each note. :-)

Exactly my point.

From: Bryan Irvine on
I vaguely remember managing an email server around 1997 and there was
a checkbox to disable telnet access. IIRC it was Imail on windows NT
4, but that was a long time ago. I do remember thinking it was odd
that they could discriminate, but it seemed to work - though I'm not
sure how or why.

-B